Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

A few questions

Hello and and Merry Christmas

I have a few questions:

I have an old TV with just scart connections at the rear. Will I be able to connect the NOW TV box to my TV?

Does the box allow you to record any programmes?

And I am currently on SKY but as they are keen to increase the fees, what feels like every other month I want to leave but enjoyt their documentary channels, Discovery and History. Are these available on NOW.

And one final comment, I am getting around 12mbps with my SKY hub. Will it be better changing to Virgin Fibre if i get a NOW tv box?

Thanks a million x

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The black box is HDMI so if your TV doesn't have a HDMI port you'd need to get a converter, you can get these on eBay and Amazon for between £10 and £20.

Currently you cannot record NOWTV.

Discovery channel is available, history you could get via tv player plus for £5 per month.

12mbps would be enough for NOWTV.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The black box is HDMI so if your TV doesn't have a HDMI port you'd need to get a converter, you can get these on eBay and Amazon for between £10 and £20.

Currently you cannot record NOWTV.

Discovery channel is available, history you could get via tv player plus for £5 per month.

12mbps would be enough for NOWTV.
ukbobboy
Legend

Hi RJ

Reading this review might help:

http://smarthomethin.gs/review-new-now-tv-box-2015/

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

I've used my 8Mb adsl problems for 3 years with various Rokus and demand services.

Not had any problems so your 12Mb should be fine - number of people connecting could affect this.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks so much to you all. Answered all my questions.

Think it's about time I updated my TV

Thanks again RJ

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

@Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks so much to you all. Answered all my questions.

Think it's about time I updated my TV

Thanks again RJ

There are loads of bargain TVs around with multiple hdmi ports.

Go on, bite the bullet and replace your clockwork tele Smiley Wink

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is this the box I need?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/smart-tv/now-tv-hd-smart...

Will it be better than just using my SKY box with no subscription?

Oh and the adapter I need from eBay, what is it called. There are thousands of adapters. Willl need to go from the now tv box to my tv via scart

Sorry for the last few questions

ukbobboy
Legend

Dear RJ

I think you've got things the wrong way around because you would be better off buying a new TV and possibly buying the new (black) Now TV Box with the TV, as Currys are doing a deal (on the same page), rather than buying new equipment and trying to retro-fit it to an old out of date TV.

UK Bob

PS. Sorry if it is not the answer you are looking for.

Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User yes that is the Now box. You can use that with an adapter. The chat people should be able to confirm which you need.  

As for what you can watch. On Now you have a subscription option for each package as well as catch up. On the Sky box you get live free tv. On Now you only get BBC via Iplayer and ITV via ITV hub. You will need both to watch TV unless you have an aerial.  I am not sure if you can access Iplayer, 4od,demand 5 or ITV hub via the Sky box? I know that UKTV player is not available on Now currently.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.