cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JBancroft
Mentor

720p or 1080p? Black box

Hi,

I've just bought a new 720p TV for the bedroom, and am using a black now tv box. The box only has 2 screen settings, 720 or 1080, and I cannot get the tv to show full widescreen on either box setting.  I  have tried various screen settings on the tv but it does not help, and am currently using the 'auto' screen setting on the tv.

Previously I had an ancient tv, and a white now tv box, and had no problems watching in widescreen.

Am I missing something here, or am I stuck with a narrow screen when watching something on the now tv box?

Thanks

0 Thanks
11 Replies
artesea Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: 720p or 1080p? Black box

@JBancroft the issue will be with your TV. The NOW TV box is outputting in widescreen in either 720 or 1080 modes.

-----
I'm a Community Contributor not staff, so whilst I know a lot about the service I will be unable to help with any account issues.
Did you find this post useful, why not give some Thanks?
0 Thanks
schnapps Legend 5
Legend 5

@JBancroft

What is the make and model of your TV ?

0 Thanks
JBancroft
Mentor

It's a BUSH 32"    model number DLED32165HD

0 Thanks
schnapps Legend 5
Legend 5

@JBancroft

Did you buy the TV from Argos ?

I believe Argos own the Bush brand and maybe speak to somebody in Argos customers support Dept who have knowledge of their Bush televisions on why your are getting a 4.3 to 1 aspect ratio when the nowtv box outputs a 720P 60Hz Widescreen signal. 

Edit - I am assuming you are getting a 4.3 to 1 square picture on the TV screen or is there just a small black border around the outside of the screen  ?

If there is just a small black border, see if there is an Over Scan option adjustment in your picture TV settings mode.

0 Thanks
JBancroft
Mentor

Schnapps,

Yes you are correct, it was bought from Argos.

The picture is square with black down either side, and no black showing top and bottom, and the same whether the now box is set on either 720 or 1080.

The strange thing is, it shows a widescreen picture when viewed through a youview recording box.

I will have a word with Argos CC.

Thanks

0 Thanks
Highlighted
k1paea
Advocate

I have this now on my labtop why carnt i ajust in when useing your app

0 Thanks
SeeMoreDigital Legend 5
Legend 5

@k1paea wrote:

I have this now on my labtop why carnt i ajust in when useing your app

Are you viewing NOW TV on your laptop or do you have your laptop connected to your television?

• If I've been helpful please press the THANKS button • If I've been really helpful please also press the ACCEPT SOLUTION button • Please note: I'm not a NOW TV employee, I'm a regular NOW TV customer, like you! •

LG TV 1 = Model no: 43UH668V | Software: 04.30.70 | OS: webOS 3.31 • LG TV 2 = Model no: 65UH770V | Software: 04.31.10 | webOS •

All TV's = NOW TV app: 2.27.0 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • Networking Spec = ISP: Virgin Media (75Mbps) | Devices connection type: Wired | IP address type: Fixed (device permitting) •

0 Thanks
Neilallen
Advocate

Hi

I am having the same problem but it happens only with only fools and horses any help I brought the 69.00 now tv from argos

Best Regards

Neil

0 Thanks
commanda6 Legend 5
Legend 5

@Neilallen wrote:

Hi

I am having the same problem but it happens only with only fools and horses any help I brought the 69.00 now tv from argos

Best Regards

Neil

@Neilallen due to the age of only fools and horses. It is understandable that that particular program isn't displayed in 16:9 ratio. Because due to the programs age it wasn't originally filmed in that ratio. For the majority of other content. You will find that you will get 16:9  ratio

Just to clear things up. If you have a TV that is capable of 1080p, then you should set the smart box to 1080p. If your TV is only capable of lower than 1080p, then the box should be set to 720p.

I do not work for now TV. I am simply a NowTV customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

If you find posts on the community useful or helpful can you give them Thanks By pressing the thumbs up button. If a post solves a problem you are having can you mark it as an accepted solution.