cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

720p or 1080p? Black box

Hi,

I've just bought a new 720p TV for the bedroom, and am using a black now tv box. The box only has 2 screen settings, 720 or 1080, and I cannot get the tv to show full widescreen on either box setting.  I  have tried various screen settings on the tv but it does not help, and am currently using the 'auto' screen setting on the tv.

Previously I had an ancient tv, and a white now tv box, and had no problems watching in widescreen.

Am I missing something here, or am I stuck with a narrow screen when watching something on the now tv box?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User the issue will be with your TV. The NOW TV box is outputting in widescreen in either 720 or 1080 modes.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

What is the make and model of your TV ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's a BUSH 32"    model number DLED32165HD

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Did you buy the TV from Argos ?

I believe Argos own the Bush brand and maybe speak to somebody in Argos customers support Dept who have knowledge of their Bush televisions on why your are getting a 4.3 to 1 aspect ratio when the nowtv box outputs a 720P 60Hz Widescreen signal. 

Edit - I am assuming you are getting a 4.3 to 1 square picture on the TV screen or is there just a small black border around the outside of the screen  ?

If there is just a small black border, see if there is an Over Scan option adjustment in your picture TV settings mode.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Schnapps,

Yes you are correct, it was bought from Argos.

The picture is square with black down either side, and no black showing top and bottom, and the same whether the now box is set on either 720 or 1080.

The strange thing is, it shows a widescreen picture when viewed through a youview recording box.

I will have a word with Argos CC.

Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi

I am having the same problem but it happens only with only fools and horses any help I brought the 69.00 now tv from argos

Best Regards

Neil

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi

I am having the same problem but it happens only with only fools and horses any help I brought the 69.00 now tv from argos

Best Regards

Neil

@Anonymous User due to the age of only fools and horses. It is understandable that that particular program isn't displayed in 16:9 ratio. Because due to the programs age it wasn't originally filmed in that ratio. For the majority of other content. You will find that you will get 16:9  ratio

Just to clear things up. If you have a TV that is capable of 1080p, then you should set the smart box to 1080p. If your TV is only capable of lower than 1080p, then the box should be set to 720p.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks

Neil

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

To follow on from what @commanda6 has said. Not only was a lot of the older content shot/produced at an aspect ratio of 4:3, it was also shot/produced in standard definition...