cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

5.1 Audio output ??

Hi there ....

Having had a lengthy 'web chat' with one of The NOW help persons, they assured me that the Black Now box should output a 5.1 Dolby signal .... Which I was failing to get, so .... After several hours of fiddling with settings on both my AV amp & resetting the Now box a couple of times, I'm still not convinced a 5.1 output is happening.

Within the settings/audio menu I've tried both the 'auto detect' ..... Which did as it said & recognised the HDMI could carry DD and DTS .... And also manually set the audio at DD (along with all the other settings) but alas all that is being fed from the Now box appears to be stereo.

Has anyone out there managed to configure a 5.1 output & inform if I'm missing something really simple & stupid !

Thanks in advance for any info

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

NOW TV only supply stereo audio.  Hopefully 5.1 is something on their list for the future, especially moviesSmiley Happy

View solution in original post

173 REPLIES 173
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.  The box is capable of outputting 5.1 DD, howvever, none of the content on the box is available in 5.1 which is why you're struggling to get an outputSmiley Sad

I hope this helps, if not please re-post and a member of the NOW TV Team/forum member will get you up and runningSmiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick post ..... It helps to know it's not 'me' screwing something up !

So .... Does this mean that it's the feed from Sky to NowTV is the source of the issue, in that they are only supplying a two channel stereo signal, rather than a 5.1 signal which we all know they broadcast themselves ?

Thanks again in advance!

😊

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

NOW TV only supply stereo audio.  Hopefully 5.1 is something on their list for the future, especially moviesSmiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

100% agree with your sentiment ....

5.1 audio output should be a given in today's technological world !

May be a while coming though .... I don't think Sky will release all their toys without some extra premium, otherwise a mass exodus from Sky to NowTV would probably be evident !

Will start to live in hope !

Thanks again

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think this must be Sky holding back HD and DD through the Now TV box. Provide a degraded service so the masses don't leave their subscription?! I would happily pay more to have both these features on Now TV, which lets be honest are standard features in the world of streaming movies!! We can hope ....... 🙏🙏

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I to spent a few hours trying to get 5.1 out of this box ,all the reviews say great box now you can get 5.1 up to 7.1 .I don't think any of the reviewers actually  pluged the thing in looks like another one relegated to the garage. Fire TV DD + 1080p he only good thing it only cost 15£ so not much of a hit 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I totally agree, Sky have really restricted the technical abilities of the Roku. However, I am pretty sure there wil be a long-term money making plan afoot Smiley Indifferent

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User the box isn't restricted it's just that all the content within the NOW TV app is stereo only. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi artesea

Yes, I take your point, my terminology was poor. What I meant was that the Sky content is good value but quality is questionable; I was reffering not only to the sound quality but also to the picture quality of which I am not impressed (compared to a TalkTalk Youview box broadband stream). Back to back viewings of the same programme show much better definition with TT box using BBC iPlayer.

Also, offering a 60hz box for the UK market is just wrong!

Question: is the USB port and SD Card slot useable?

Thanks

celticprince