cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

5.1 Audio output ??

Hi there ....

Having had a lengthy 'web chat' with one of The NOW help persons, they assured me that the Black Now box should output a 5.1 Dolby signal .... Which I was failing to get, so .... After several hours of fiddling with settings on both my AV amp & resetting the Now box a couple of times, I'm still not convinced a 5.1 output is happening.

Within the settings/audio menu I've tried both the 'auto detect' ..... Which did as it said & recognised the HDMI could carry DD and DTS .... And also manually set the audio at DD (along with all the other settings) but alas all that is being fed from the Now box appears to be stereo.

Has anyone out there managed to configure a 5.1 output & inform if I'm missing something really simple & stupid !

Thanks in advance for any info

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

NOW TV only supply stereo audio.  Hopefully 5.1 is something on their list for the future, especially moviesSmiley Happy

View solution in original post

173 REPLIES 173
Anonymous User
Not applicable
The first but not the last...
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Sky HD, via satellite, is 5.1 and 1080i agreed.

I fail to see why the now TV via Firefox or chrome can't use 5.1 too!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky's stance has had one impact I guess....I am now not so reliant on Sky Cinema for new movie offerings and Netflix UK is pretty weak, so I have bought more BRs in the last year than the previous few years out together.  Mostly to enjoy my new home cinema set up to its full potential but at least the industry is getting a decent return from me....

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

You know Doug, when you said, "...to enjoy my new home cinema set up to its full potential...", which is spot on, I guessing that you, like me, as a youngster wished, hoped and prayed for a "Home Cinema System" now we each have our own and can enjoy them as and when we want to.

Nowadays, I don't have to go to the cinema to watch those block busters, or even go to the video store (they no longer exist), and thanks to computer technology I can see them all in my own front room. 

Brilliant.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboyYep, these days I much prefer watching films at home.  Love the convenience and relative affordability - it's just a shame Nowtv doesn't do the films the justice they should.  Ah well, can't have everything...

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I use Lovefilm rental for a good chunk of my movie viewing. Much cheaper than buying discs and I get Blu-ray quality. I struggle to watch movies on Now TV due to the miserable picture and audio quality.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

What's the new film selection like?  And how likely are you to get your top picks?  My trouble is that you're not always in the mood for whatever you have been sent....

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Well Doug

As I'm a sci-fi fan, everything else comes a distant second, I'm pretty happy with what the selection they throw at me.

With me, if I'm not watching a film or programme then I'm then listening to music, like right now.

I cannot complain (OK, I'm a simple guy that's easy to please).

UK Bob

PS. Just seen your second reply and I agree, I prefer staying at home, in comfort.  Now that's the way to watch a block buster.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

What's the new film selection like?  And how likely are you to get your top picks?  My trouble is that you're not always in the mood for whatever you have been sent....

It's a bit of a mixed bag. Some studios now delay the disc rental release for a few months after the streaming and retail bluray releases. Others are day and date. Lovefilm are always ahead of Now TV though.

You can prioritise which discs they send out next but every now and again they'll randomly send something from your low priority list. 

It's not perfect and it's so strange that such an antiquated service is still running, but it's still by far the cheapest way to see new movies, and on bluray too. Until Now TV starts streaming in HD, or 4K and with 5.1 audio then they'll always be a second rate option.

At least Netflix are picking up more movies now, and some really recent things too. Hunt For The Wilderpeople was added recently and that's the best thing I've seen in a good while. Son of Saul was added recently as well. (Best foreign language Oscar winner last year)

Legend 5
Legend 5
@Anonymous User slightly off topic but can I recommend the gift cards to you or keeping an eye out for deals on boxes with vouchers. Makes movies even cheaper.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.