Mentor 1

Re: 5.1 Sound and 1080p

@Irf7

Hi Irf

Your back and blazing with both guns, you know I'v read your analysis and I totally disagree with parts of it, not because I have any factual evidence but because of how I've seen NowTV operate in the niche market they occupy. 

First, you said, "Now TV was too slow to penetrate the burgeoning smart television market....". NowTV is NOT in the Smart Television market, i.e. there is no NowTV TV set on sale like there is various models of Samsung and LG smart TV's on sale, NowTV is in the Internet streaming TV market which really did not exist until NowTV came along.  

I will acknowledge that Roku and Western Digital had set-top streaming boxes available but, apart from the BBC iplayer (or it's forerunner), they had little or no UK content.  It was NowTV that consolidated and made the niche market it now occupies.

However, just because it virtually made the UK market that does not mean that this market will belong exclusively to NowTV, to keep a tech market a tech company has to continually test and the market it is in or it will end up like KODAK and myriad others tech companies that are now just historical footnotes.

I believe NowTV is keeping up with the tech market it is in because if it moves too fast, i.e. ahead of the market, which can be dangerous because other tech companies that shot ahead of the game have gone bust.

Second, you also said, "Sky is shifting its entire package online soon.....Now TV maybe ditched as a service within the next 12 to 15 months (perhaps even sooner)". I have said before, in another thread, that if NowTV is ditched I, for one, will not naturally migrate over to Sky and probably will ditch online TV altogether. And I believe there are other NowTV customers out there that feel the same way.

Finally, you said, "Now TV struggled to keep up with the times", I am somewhat skeptical about this statement because Roku is the company that is making the tech advances in it's set-top boxes and NowTV buys in the modified results.

You know, I think your summation of events are logical but ultimately wrong, but, as in all things, time will tell.

UK Bob 

Contributor 2

@ukbobboy

You got me sort of wrong, brother. What I meant to say is that Now TV was very slow in rolling out its app for various smart television brands. Netflix et al were all over it, Now TV weren’t – placing more faith in consumers buying its set-top box for Now TV whereas they ought to have developed, launched and distributed the smart app quicker.

They should not have vested so much faith in the uptake of Roku and Western Digital boxes. I have had a Samsung smart television since 2015 but Now TV launched an app for it late last year, aeons after Netflix and Amazon Prime, both of the latter streaming in more advanced picture and sound offerings. Now TV was late to the feast and arrived with Babycham while the rest were swigging on Veuve Clicquot. Not a good move, bro, especially when streaming via smart televisions is more ubiquitous. Mate, I remember back in 2006 when a work colleague was watching Poltergeist in our office via his LoveFilm account, thus indicating the actuality that streaming movies has been founded more by Amazon (they owned the company) than anyone else before them.

Mate, it’s a competitive market out there. The huge market loss endured by Sky last quarter demonstrates that. Customers want flexibility but they also want the best quality at the most generous price.

I love cinema, UK Bob. I think that I am a dying breed. Our film culture has been devalued. It’s become populated with franchise fodder, with meaningful films having been largely excised, as they are no longer deemed viable. I do believe that Now TV, with its cornucopia of content, should shame its competitors by making a huge deal of how it celebrates cinema. They should commission filmmakers to curate movie viewlists. They should advertise in cinemas extolling its personal cinematic worthiness, where the greatest movies are presented in the best ways available.

Like a gangsta rapper, I’m just spittin’ here. I’m just spittin’.

Mentor 1

@Irf7

You have got me, I just cannot reply to your last post, I guess that it's mainly because I've just had a beer and I'm chillin' to some sweet chilled music (Craig David's Greatest Hits).

All I can really say is that I too love films and music and it's NowTV and their little black box that has allowed me to enjoy both as and when I want to (although I've got to provide my own beer Smiley Happy). 

However, there is one small point, you say that NowTV came late to the party, I say they were right on time because there was no party before, just players seeing if the party actually existed.

Still, I will continue to enjoy what I've got and not worry (too much) about whether Sky/NowTV can keep their market share.

UK Bob

Contributor 1

Sky's stance has had one impact I guess....I am now not so reliant on Sky Cinema for new movie offerings and Netflix UK is pretty weak, so I have bought more BRs in the last year than the previous few years out together.  Mostly to enjoy my new home cinema set up to its full potential but at least the industry is getting a decent return from me....

Helper 5

I use Lovefilm rental for a good chunk of my movie viewing. Much cheaper than buying discs and I get Blu-ray quality. I struggle to watch movies on Now TV due to the miserable picture and audio quality.
Mentor 1

@Dougsey

You know Doug, when you said, "...to enjoy my new home cinema set up to its full potential...", which is spot on, I guessing that you, like me, as a youngster wished, hoped and prayed for a "Home Cinema System" now we each have our own and can enjoy them as and when we want to.

Nowadays, I don't have to go to the cinema to watch those block busters, or even go to the video store (they no longer exist), and thanks to computer technology I can see them all in my own front room. 

Brilliant.

UK Bob

Contributor 1

What's the new film selection like?  And how likely are you to get your top picks?  My trouble is that you're not always in the mood for whatever you have been sent....

Contributor 1

@ukbobboyYep, these days I much prefer watching films at home.  Love the convenience and relative affordability - it's just a shame Nowtv doesn't do the films the justice they should.  Ah well, can't have everything...

Mentor 1

[ Edited ]

@Dougsey

Well Doug

As I'm a sci-fi fan, everything else comes a distant second, I'm pretty happy with what the selection they throw at me.

With me, if I'm not watching a film or programme then I'm then listening to music, like right now.

I cannot complain (OK, I'm a simple guy that's easy to please).

UK Bob

PS. Just seen your second reply and I agree, I prefer staying at home, in comfort.  Now that's the way to watch a block buster.

Highlighted
Helper 5

Dougsey wrote:

What's the new film selection like?  And how likely are you to get your top picks?  My trouble is that you're not always in the mood for whatever you have been sent....

It's a bit of a mixed bag. Some studios now delay the disc rental release for a few months after the streaming and retail bluray releases. Others are day and date. Lovefilm are always ahead of Now TV though.

You can prioritise which discs they send out next but every now and again they'll randomly send something from your low priority list. 

It's not perfect and it's so strange that such an antiquated service is still running, but it's still by far the cheapest way to see new movies, and on bluray too. Until Now TV starts streaming in HD, or 4K and with 5.1 audio then they'll always be a second rate option.

At least Netflix are picking up more movies now, and some really recent things too. Hunt For The Wilderpeople was added recently and that's the best thing I've seen in a good while. Son of Saul was added recently as well. (Best foreign language Oscar winner last year)