cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

1080p v 720p

I have a 4k tv with a very good upscaling function on it. I was surprised to find however that changing the output on the now tv box to 1080p looks less impressive than 720p. I know the native resolution of now tv is 720p but would have thought 1080p would look better on a 1080p or 4k screen. Any other opinions on this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I know the native resolution of now tv is 720p but would have thought 1080p would look better on a 1080p or 4k screen....

No... Because the up-scaler in your NOW TV playback device is nothing like as good as the one in your 4K television.

If the 'first-stage' device (the NOW TV Box) doesn't do a very good job at up-scaling, the 'second-stage' device (your TV) will compound all the errors created by the 'first-stage' device!

Never 'double' up-scale any image. This is why I hate poorly set-up surround sound amplifiers Smiley Surprised 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I like the picture better on 720. I have a cheaper TV. I guess it's to an extent a personal choice.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I know the native resolution of now tv is 720p but would have thought 1080p would look better on a 1080p or 4k screen....

No... Because the up-scaler in your NOW TV playback device is nothing like as good as the one in your 4K television.

If the 'first-stage' device (the NOW TV Box) doesn't do a very good job at up-scaling, the 'second-stage' device (your TV) will compound all the errors created by the 'first-stage' device!

Never 'double' up-scale any image. This is why I hate poorly set-up surround sound amplifiers Smiley Surprised 

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

correct as ever @SeeMoreDigital Smiley Happy

This is why the main devices I use the NowTV are our two LG 4K smart TVs or the Xbox one S in terms of upscaling the Xbox one S is just as good as the TVs that's not really a surprise as the one S is practically a PC under the hood, so you in effect have a PC doing the upscaling the one S also has a 4K display mode. It's designed to upscale stuff to 4K just like 4K TVs are.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

My older LG tv wont display on 1080 (flashes and flickers). I reset and chose 740 and it is fine.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

720, but yes.

If you have an old set that is only HD Ready, this is what you will experience.

What’s the model number of the LG?

And have you thought about replacing it with a new 4K set?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.