cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

strange square on sky sports

Not sure how to describe it other than a square/rectangle in the top left corner of the screen. Its only on the sky sports but when we press down to the channels it goes off. I will add a pic of it if i can

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Found a workaround.

Go to Apps Store, then select the NowTV App, then click on Go to App, then once on the old UI go to the Sports and watch from there.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
Matty999
Scholar

This issue has again reared it's ugly head.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have to just try your to get rid of the square on the sky sports channel but doesn’t disappear and try solutions.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a similar issue, except for me its a white rectangle at the bottom right of the screen on the sports channels.  It is there permanantly, even during advert breaks.  We usually have the TV on the sport channel most of the day, so I am worried that this is going to burn itself into my screen (since I have an OLED TV).

I am not sure if this rectangle is there to depict extras for Sky Glass/Q customers, but they really should remove it for NowTV as it serves no purpose other than to annoy us and damage our TVs...

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User what you're seeing is a watermark that denotes it's a NowTV stream.

It allows Sky to know if people are illegally streaming Now content in pubs and bars rather than operating a commercial system.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I dont mind watermarks for those purposes, but at least they could move it around to different locations occasionally, or at the very least make it transparent so it does not burn your screen.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Anonymous User Are you using a CRT TV? 

Saint1976
Elite 3

@redchiz1 they say further up it's an OLED.

Unless you're watching for more that 5 hours a day on the same channel for several years, there shouldn't be any image retention.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

From a personal perspective, the watermark is small, in a corner and only on live content so would only be visible for a few times a week. I don't even notice it's there half the time and it's more discreet than my commercial systems that have a red pint glass and the viewing card number on the screen.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Saint1976 I was being mildly facetious as you might have imagined.  😉

Of course you are right, and NOW are far from the only culprits when it comes to a Digital On-Screen Graphic (or DOGs as they are called to those in the know) which have been around for years, whether to indicate a particular subscription, or simply a channel ID. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes its an OLED.  Our TV is currently on the sports channel most of the day, as we are watching the IPL cricket live every day along with other sports like F1 on the weekends (so the logo is static there for most of the day).

And reading those long term tests, it seems the TVs they had on static channels have very noticeable permanent burn in issues (just look at those screenshots of the two CNN TVs).  I have also personally seen a few OLED screen phones get major burn in issues, so yes I think I have a right to be paranoid about these DOGS ruining my expensive TV.

As I mentioned, I have no issue with them putting watermarks there, my issue is that the one on the Nowtv Sports channel is permanently there, static and not transparent.

redchiz1
Champion 2

Change channels occasionally?

Here is an informative article on the subject:

https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/oled-screen-burn-in-rare-could-still-ruin-tv-nintendo-s....