cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

now tv smart stick

I have just subscribed to NOW TV and I cant get the app on my Samsung TV - just what do I need to get to watch now tv on my Samsung tv - any specific smart stick or now tv box?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Out of curiosity is your Samsung a Smart TV running Tizen OS ?

if so, what is the full model number of the Samsung TV and are you based in either the UK, Republic of Ireland or the Channel Islands such has Jersey for example.

Any of the external devices that use HDMI from this NOW linked article should work with your Samsung TV (if the TV doesn't have the native inbuilt NOW App).

You would also need sufficient internet connection and a NOW membership should you wish to watch NOW.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now-tv 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Out of curiosity is your Samsung a Smart TV running Tizen OS ?

if so, what is the full model number of the Samsung TV and are you based in either the UK, Republic of Ireland or the Channel Islands such has Jersey for example.

Any of the external devices that use HDMI from this NOW linked article should work with your Samsung TV (if the TV doesn't have the native inbuilt NOW App).

You would also need sufficient internet connection and a NOW membership should you wish to watch NOW.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now-tv 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dont think it runs that system the number of the model is UE55HU72009XXU based in UK - I have seen Now TV boxes for sale - will they work with my tv 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Your better getting an Amazon Fire stick, as there has been multiple issues with NOW devices such as overheating and losing internet connection.

With the Amazon fire stick you can purchase an Ethernet adapter if you are able to connect via Ethernet.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I do have an amazon fire stick but it must be too old to get Now Tv app  - thanks - What about the Now TV boxes? are they any good?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If it's the older Fire TV Stick Mark 1 then you are out of luck and there is nothing showing under the Fire Stick Apps Store or if you search NOW on the Fire Stick.

Go into the Fire Stick Settings under My Fire TV under About and it should give your the Fire Stick model or version from memory (i haven't got access to my Fire Stick at the moment to check if the information is there or not on the Fire Stick version).

On the screen shot that i posted it will list which Fire Stick versions currently support the NOW App in the UK.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you can run the NOW box over Ethernet then it would be better than WiFi.

I actually prefer the NOW boxes, though i haven't used a black NOW box in a long time (only have registered a NOW Freeview Smart Box & NOW 4K Smart Box) rather than using my NOW Stick for various reasons.

Since the new NOW rebrand software update my NOW Freeview Box has encountered a few glitches & bugs which i have reported to NOW (though nobody else have either seem to encountered them or haven't reported them from what i can tell on the Community Forum).

Like i said if it was me and 30 minute live pause TV is not a feature you are looking for, then i would stretch the budget a little further and seriously look at something like the Roku Express, Roku Premier or Roku Stick + or any of the Amazon Fire Sticks listed on my previous screen shot photo.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you only really want to fork out £10 then the NOW Black box should be fine for watching NOW content with your NOW Membership.

The NOW boxes can run either on Ethernet or WiFi, where hard wired Ethernet would be better if possible in your home setup (though in my opinion the WiFi on the NOW boxes are better than the NOW Sticks). 

The only thing i can't predict is that the NOW Black boxes are about five or six years old now and i don't know how much longer in the future NOW will be supporting them (hopefully they will have a few years manufacturer support left before being unsupported by NOW).

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Ok Thanks again - very helpful
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

My Dad has the H series Samsung TV like your good self, but unfortunately the H series model line doesn't support the native NOW App.

Apart from the old NOW white box which isn't supported anymore, then the rest of the NOW boxes or NOW Stick will run on your television if you have an internet speed of 2.5Mbps or more (12Mbps if you want the extra NOW Boost Membership).

Anything from this list on the screen shot below will work with your Samsung TV assuming you have a spare HDMI port available on the TV.

if it was me, from the list i would look at either a full blown Roku Player or an Amazon Fire TV Stick where i own both of them.

Screenshot_2021-04-18-10-19-09.png