cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

now Tv stick can’t find 5G wifi

Hi there I am having problems with now tv stick finding 5G wifi . Can only get connected to 2.4 which is super slow. 

Some people in forum have said change channel to 36  but how do I do that ??

All other devices have found and on 5G  just not the now tv stuck will find. I have even tried putting tv stick next too router and re starting router with no luck in detecting 5G. The 2.4 one is too slow and buffers all the time . 

thanks 

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

You should be able to go into your Router settings and instead of using Automatic wifi channels most Routers will allow you to manually select the wifi channel.

When selecting the wifi channel manually on your Dual Band Router make sure you go into the 5ghz section to pick the channel you want if you are after channel 36.

Maybe also use an App on your smartphone such was wifi Analyser which will find the least congested wifi channels around you.

Once you done that go back into the NOW Stick Settings under Network and see if Stick then recognise your 5ghz home network and if it does connect to it by following the on screen prompts.

From memory the NOW Stick and Roku Players that use dual band wifi works around channel 36 to somewhere around channel 48.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Out of curiosity what Router do you use and what's the wifi reception like in the room with the NOW Stick in it ?

Also you could try temporary testing the Stick on another television in your home just to see if the speeds improves (assuming you have a decent internet connection and wifi coverage around your home). 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Something else you could try if your download internet speeds and wifi reception is good and your Router allows to add a customise DNS server such has Google Public DNS.

Where a few people have found using something like Google DNS improves their experience when watching on the NOW App with reduced buffering and a more stable performance.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

This is the WiFi Analyzer App that i use on my Android smartphone.

Don't know if it's available or not on Apple iOS because i don't use Apple products myself.

https://www.wifianalyzer.info 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

@schnapps 

It’s not, as it does several things that Apple consider breach their privacy rules.

You can find a whole bunch of things on the Apple Store that go by the same sort of name, but few of them are worthy of it, being just speed testers and the like.

I use Fing on Apple devices, which I think does everything that Apple allow in this area, but if anyone knows of an Apple Store app that does more, please let me know.

We are very close to 100% Apple here, but will never reach 100% because I will always keep at least one Android device to run WiFi Analyzer and the like.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

@schnapps 

https://www.igeeksblog.com/best-iphone-ipad-wifi-analyzer-apps/

I’m pleased to see they endorse my fave, Fing.

It seems that all the Apple Store tools are limited to analysing your own network, and its link to your ISP.

Where Android tools listen to, and report on, the whole plethora of WiFi signals around them, from any router in range, yours and your neighbours, etc.

Something which is essential if you want to know how congested the various WiFi channels are, or if your WiFi is being impacted by nearby outside WiFi usage.

As when a neighbour comes home, starts using their broadband (heavy gaming?) and puts your response times in the toilet.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.