cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

help needed

Evening all, just after a little help or advice. 

I've been trying to purchase a replacement remote for my smart stick since October last year, the sky store accessories page has been offline all this time and possibly a long time before I first checked, yes there is a phone number but that's not helpful either, just seems to be a waste of time and money talking to someone who says they don't actually sell nowtv products and I need to talk to nowtv. 

There's a link on nowtvs help page "click here to buy replacement remote" which puts you through to a live chat with someone from nowtv who tells you they haven't got any stock and I need to check back for an update on stock, I've done that at least twice a month since October and it's always the same result "we don't have any in stock, we don't know when we will get any back in stock, check back for updates on stock etc... "

The other reply is, "purchase one from our selected retailers" followed by a list of shops that only actually sell a complete set up or not the correct remote. In response to this I've told them I refuse to pay £20+ on Amazon for something they sell for £8, I was once actually told to buy a complete new set up and throw the stick away and just keep the remote, it was only when I pointed out it wasn't good for the environment the customer support/helpline person agreed it wasn't a good idea. 

I've asked several times why they are called customer support/helpline when they can neither help nor suggest anything to help resolve my issue, the answer, we are terribly sorry we can't resolve your issue but we currently don't know when we will have any more stock. 

Has anyone else been able to buy just a remote from nowtv in the last six months? 

2 REPLIES 2
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User the consensus is that Sky will no longer be making and selling their own devices as sticks/remotes etc have been out of stock since long before Christmas. Therefore we also assume spares won't be available either.

You haven't mentioned which device you have but assuming it's a NowTV stick, one option is to download the Roku Remote Control app. Works like a charm but if for any reason you need to reset your stick, then you'll need a physical remote control to set it up again.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi thanks for the info on skys side of things. 

I have the smart stick, remote is the one with voice control. 

Thank you for mentioning the app for remote use, this had been mentioned to me before by customer support staff but as my young children use the TV a lot I'm a little loathed to leave my phone with them for the purpose of using it as a remote control. 

What's frustrating me most is nowtvs lack of knowledge as to when they will get any more stock. 

I even fibbed once to the online chat support saying I had purchased the smart stick set directly from them less than 6 months ago and under consumer rights laws they were obliged to rectify or replace  defective equipment,to which I was told, we don't have any stock so we can't do that. 

Surely this is breaking all sorts of consumer rights and trading standards laws??