cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unable To Set Up TV Power Control via NOW TV Smart Stick Remote

Hi, 

IDK if anyone else has experienced similar issues when attempting to establish TV Power Control on their NOW TV Smart Stick Remote but, having tried to do so on both my Samsung and Panasonic TV's without success, I'm at a bit of a loose end.

Once I "Start" the process to "Set up remote for TV control" on my NOW TV Smart Stick, I get the following pop-up:-

Is music playing?

• Yes, music is playing
  • No

Generally, regardless of which TV I was using, I heard the music, so I chose: "Yes, music is playing" and then got a (series of) pop-up window(s) asking:-

Has the music stopped playing?

• Yes, the music has stopped playing
  • No

And, whenever I answered "Yes" to this question, I would get a pop-up window which said:-

Setting up remote for TV

Success! Your remote is set up to control this TV's power & volume

• OK

At which point, pressing "OK" would simply take you back to the previous sub-menu to "Start" the process to "Set up remote for TV control" again, from where I would try the Volume Control (which always worked - as you might expect having just been given a 'Success!' message) and then try the TV Power button (which NEVER worked - not even once!).

Alternatively, whenever I answered "No" to this question, I'd get a similar "Has the music stopped playing?" pop-up window... but with the added text: "Trying TV code 1.",  "Trying TV code 2.",  "Trying TV code 3.", etc. which (even if I 'faked' my answer to get another code) would only continue until all fifty codes had been attempted... leaving me no other way to proceed.

Despite finding various options (within the built-in library of fifty codes) that would work for controlling the TV Volume across both TV brands - that each generated a 'Success' message - none of the codes which worked for altering the volume were also capable of turning the TV's On/Off (i.e. putting them in to, or out of, sleep/standby mode) and I'm wondering if anything can be done about this?

Of course I'm still able to turn (either of) the television(s) on or off using the supplied remote(s) that came with the television(s) but, considering this is one of the main features / selling-points of these new Smart TV Sticks (over previous NOW TV devices), it would be nice if the remote actually worked for this purpose as intended.

Whether there is an existing database of codes that NOW TV can add to, if purchasers of the NOW TV Smart Stick who experience such problems provide details of their TV model(s), is unclear to me - at least, I found no reference to it when trying to perform an online search for this topic - but, if there is not already one set-up, then it might be a good idea to start one (sooner, rather than later). Likewise, it might be a good idea to start a list of TV models that have been identified as having problems with TV Power and/or Volume Control when attempting to set-up the NOW TV Smart Stick remote for this purpose.

For the record, the television models for which I attempted to establish TV Power and Volume Control with my NOW TV Smart Stick remote were as follows:-

• Samsung PS-50C6900YK - which IIRC was originally from around 2010/11
  • Panasonic TX-L55DT50B - which IIRC was originally from around 2012/13

Any help / advice that anyone can provide on this would be much appreciated.

Many thanks, in advance.

30 REPLIES 30
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy wrote:

@schnapps @commanda6 whilst I can't comment on the Roku Stick+ you have, the NOW TV Stick is based on the Roku Streaming Stick, it's only issuing IR commands not controlling volume or standby over HDMI, so CEC isn't needed and the stick doesn't have to be connected to the TV for volume/standby to work (although it's probably a good idea to do so for the initial setup).

@Andy I think that when it comes to Roku/Roku-based kit I'm going to have to bow to your superior knowledge from now onSmiley Very Happy unless it's to do with the Roku 3 or streaming stick plus or NowTV smart box

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6 wrote:

@Andy I think that when it comes to Roku/Roku-based kit I'm going to have to bow to your superior knowledge from now onSmiley Very Happy unless it's to do with the Roku 3 or streaming stick plus or NowTV smart box

@commanda6 Definitely don't have much knowledge, I just mess around and somethings sink in! With your knowledge of XBoxes, Playstations, LG TVs, Windows PCs you have me well and truly beat! I'd kick rear end in a rubbish 80s horror movie pub quiz though 🙂

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy wrote:

@commanda6 wrote:

@commanda6 Definitely don't have much knowledge, I just mess around and somethings sink in! With your knowledge of XBoxes, Playstations, LG TVs, Windows PCs you have me well and truly beat! I'd kick rear end in a rubbish 80s horror movie pub quiz though 🙂

but I would beat you on a Star Wars pub quiz @Andy Smiley Very Happy

I think it would be fair to scratch PlayStation off the list of devices that I'm knowledgeable on while I do have a PlayStation four. It only gets used once in a blue moon. And most of the troubleshooting steps that are posted in the past on forums are things that I've learned from some of @Karl-F's previous posts Smiley Wink you did forget about youview though

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andywrote:

@Anonymous User Panasonic and Samsung are both common manufacturers and I would imagine they use a limited number of IR codes for standby commands, I would have expected it to have the codes, but can't guarantee.

The stick should know the TV make on setup by interrogating the TV but it won't know the exact IR codes so you end up with those endless musical options, but if the first set of codes don't work have you gone through them systematically by rejecting the ones that didn't work previously (say No the sound didn't mute even if it did to skip onto the next one, you'll have to keep count of which ones you've tried). Bit hard to explain but look at the bottom of this help page to get the idea

https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/115013019828

Roku do say they are some models of TV where volume control will work but not standby, but like you I would expect most models of Samsung and Panny to be ok.

The suggestion to do a factory reset and/or forced software update might be worth it.

@schnapps @commanda6 whilst I can't comment on the Roku Stick+ you have, the NOW TV Stick is based on the Roku Streaming Stick, it's only issuing IR commands not controlling volume or standby over HDMI, so CEC isn't needed and the stick doesn't have to be connected to the TV for volume/standby to work (although it's probably a good idea to do so for the initial setup).

Thanks for your additional input, Andy... but, as per my OP, I have "gone through them systematically by rejecting the ones that didn't work previously" which, as you rightly suggest, did include multiple attempts where I would "say No the sound didn't mute even if it did to skip onto the next one" despite the fact that the device did "know the TV make on setup by interrogating the TV" and that fact was confirmed (when I had exhausted all of the options) by mentioning the TV brand in the final pop-up window.

The Roku help article was interesting... if only to see that they included an option to enter your TV brand manually - something which AFAIK the process does not include when attempting to set-up 'TV Power and Volume Control' with the remote supplied for controlling the new NOW TV Smart Stick - however, I appreciate your sharing the link, since I was running-out of options.

As for the reset / update thing... that has already been attempted but (as with everything else I tried) made no difference.

I'm going to give it one last try, before giving it a go on a different TV, then exchange it if I need to after that.

Fingers crossed, I'll get it working soon!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, everyone...

Thanks to all of you who contributed with various sugestions and/or snippets of advice to this thread.

You will no doubt be pleased to hear that crossing my fingers before making  "one last attempt" to get my NOW TV Smart Stick remote set-up for 'TV Power and Volume Control' of my Panasonic and Samsung televisions obviously did the trick... since I am now able to control both of my TV's using the buttons on the NOW TV Smart Stick remote.

Despite going well beyond the old adage of "If at first you don't succeed, try, and try, and try again"... given it took more than 3 or 4 tries before I eventually succeeded, I'm glad I persevered and got there in the end!Smiley Very Happy

I honestly have no idea why this had eluded me, thus far, but all's well that ends well - for today, at least!Smiley TongueSmiley Wink

I'm just hoping it's not going to be that difficult every time I set it up on a different TV (e.g. when taking it on our travels) which, given the extremely portable nature of this device, is one of the main reasons why I bought it in the first place!Smiley Happy

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Well that is good news, and apologies for not reading your first post properly, I only had a couple of minutes before I had to log off. 

Don't question why it didn't work or why it does work now, just go and enjoy the stick and reward yourself with a strong cup of ... well, whatever takes your fancy! 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey

I was reading this thread with interest because I’m having exactly the same problem with my Panasonic tv - (volume controlled by the now tv remote, but power not controlled). 

I wonder if if you could kindly share how you got yours working in the end? 

Cheers

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

When you go into the stick menu settings under remote, pair remote, did you keep selecting that the sound doesn't stop playing option on screen until a new page appears when you are given a choice to enter your television manufacturers brand name ?

If you got to this stage and selected Panasonic, you may have to re cycle through all the sound playing prompts on screen until you accidentally find the code that matches your Panasonic TV.

I have a Panasonic TV and both my nowtv 4K smart box and nowtv smart stick remote controllers work with regards to switching on/ off the television in standby mode and adjusting the volume on the TV set.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps

I have indeed tried both those steps. After entering panasonic I cycled through and tried every option until I'm informed that "now tv remote may not work with your TV". Several of the options allow control of the volume, but none of them control the power of the TV. Very strange.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Don't know what else to suggest to be honest, where there is always the small possibility that the nowtv smart remote doesn't have the on & off standby codes of your television.

Perhaps if you post the model number of your Panasonic TV, then maybe if somebody owns the same television who are using the newer nowtv smart remote can confirm if they have had any success with the on / off TV standby button on the remote.