cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Turning subtitles off on live TV

Hi, 

We have had Now for a couple of years, only ever for entertainment or films. We often use subtitles, we just prefer them for films etc.

Today we've bought a Sky Sports day pass to watch the F1 and there are subtitles on the live broadcast. We just don't need them on for F1.

I've tried pressing the * to access settings, even going back to the home page, but I can't find the option to turn them off. 

Pleeease can someone just tell me where it is? Ideally before the actual race starts. 😆

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Go into the Stick Settings by pressing the back button on the remote whilst on the home main screen, then under Settings go to Captions and try switching Captions off.

Then when you want to force captions again follow the above and switch them on again. 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Go into the Stick Settings by pressing the back button on the remote whilst on the home main screen, then under Settings go to Captions and try switching Captions off.

Then when you want to force captions again follow the above and switch them on again. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Another method you could also try is leave Captions on under the Stick Settings.

When watching a live NOW channel press the OK button on the remote, where the now & next programme will pop up on the television screen and towards the far right by the side of the next TV live programme there will be a bubble speech icon to click on to either switch on or off Subtitles in English.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

How do I turn then off Skh News on a Fire TV Stick?

There is no speech bubble on the Now/Next display.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

It needs to be done in the settings of the Amazon fire stick itself. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201493150#:~:text=Press%20the%20Menu%20button%20on,the%20Off%20button%20under%20Subtitles.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you

The Firestick setting changed on all my Firesticks, without any notification.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

It will have done it probably during a system update, which happens almost weekly. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @schnapps!

I got there eventually. 

The problem is I don't know how to make the side bar menu appear which has the Settings option on. I tried just pushing left on the remote control to no avail. In the end I did a search which didn't work because it's for looking for programmes but when I backed out of that the side bar menu came up and voilà. So at least I know where it is, I just need to get into that side bar menu. 

The other option you suggested of pressing OK to bring up the Now/Next screen didn't work. Well, it did but there was no speech bubble or any option to do anything but scroll up and down. 

Thank you ever so much, you've saved our F1 day. 😁

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Normally when you are on the main home screen of the NOW Stick / NOW box and pressing the back button (next to the home button) on the remote should bring up the LHS menu including Settings.

Anyway enjoy the F1 final race 😀.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks!! We will. 

I'll bear that in mind about the back button.