cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Turning subtitles off on live TV

Hi, 

We have had Now for a couple of years, only ever for entertainment or films. We often use subtitles, we just prefer them for films etc.

Today we've bought a Sky Sports day pass to watch the F1 and there are subtitles on the live broadcast. We just don't need them on for F1.

I've tried pressing the * to access settings, even going back to the home page, but I can't find the option to turn them off. 

Pleeease can someone just tell me where it is? Ideally before the actual race starts. 😆

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Go into the Stick Settings by pressing the back button on the remote whilst on the home main screen, then under Settings go to Captions and try switching Captions off.

Then when you want to force captions again follow the above and switch them on again. 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps 

I’ve always used Pause on the running programme to bring up options including the speech bubble with the subtitles settings in, when there are subtitles to be had.

Then, having set what I want, I press Play to carry on.

I suppose you’d have to be quick not to get a lap or two behind the action on live F1, though.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RoyB 

When watching a live NOW channel stream and you want to use the new subtitles functionality for live TV you need to either use the OK enter button or star * button on a NOW remote.

Using the pause button doesn't do anything when it comes to subtitles on the live NOW channels apart from pause live TV on my NOW branded devices.

The live NOW stream subtitles are not yet available on either my Roku Players or Amazon Fire Stick.

According to this NOW updated link help article, subtitles are now available on certain devices (where the NOW branded devices are not currently listed, but works on my NOW branded devices doing a quick test using Sky Sports News has an example).

It seems i can only get subtitles on SSN doing some more quick testing (so maybe live subtitles is not fully added yet to NOW branded devices).

https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-with-subtitles 

Closed captions on live channels are currently available on the devices listed below. We're planning to add them for live channels on more of our supported devices in the future  keep an eye on this page for updates.

• Android/iOS
  • Apple TV
  • Windows/Mac (NOW Player)
  • Chromecast
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

So doing some more testing on my NOW branded box using my Sports Membership has of now i can only get subtitles on Sky Sports News and Sky Sports Cricket (even though the bubble speech icon and switching subtitles on or off is showing on the other sports live NOW channels (so i am guessing the NOW branded devices is the next on the list to get full subtitles support on their live channels).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Any idea how to switch off subtitles on firestick 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Type ‘turning  subtitles off on Firestick’ in the Search at the top of this Community and check out the first hit you get below this one.

Or go to the list of postings in the Community, and look for the most recent one below this one with a title including the word ‘Firestick’.

(I could just give you a link, but I am teaching you to fish, for your next and any subsequent queries, rather than just giving you a fish only for this one,)

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

"Give a person a fish and they will eat for one day. Give them a fishing rod and they will sell it to buy some fish."