cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Switching off

Hi

Is the Smart Stick meant to switch off after a long period of inactivity i.e overnight as ive just noticed the white light is still on this morning, and i know that the boxes used to power down ?

Thanks

Richard

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi rico883,  The light on my stick goes off after 10 mins of inactivity, I think you can alter this in settings, I don’t know if you can set this as to not turn off, may be worth checking through the settings menu to see if anything related to this comes up , you may find yours disabled.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User It doesn't turn off as such, it drops into screensaver mode after a few minutes and it will cut the HDMI stream after a few hours but it remains in an 'instant  on' state so that a tap of any button on the remote will bring the HDMI feed back up again without restarting, similar to the NOW TV black box. It consumes very little power and is meant to behave like this.

If your stick is connected to the TV USB for power then most TVs cut the power feed on TV standby, in which case your stick will boot up again when the TV is switched back on.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Aha cheers for reply just never noticed it before and obviously the boxes
have no light on show when they power off
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi- right up date got back from work and now the light is off this is very puzzling !

Thanks

Richard

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

This is a pure guess on my part, where if your smart stick is powered from the mains outlet adaptor supplied, then maybe the smart stick was doing a software check and you noticed the power light on the stick before going back into it's eco sleep mode ?

I noticed something similar in the past on my standard black nowtv box, where the power light on the box will switch on even though it was in a shutdown eco mode where I haven't pressed any buttons on the remote or switched on the TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yep- could have been doing that as it is mains powered

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Easy enough to check if you go to Settings > System > System update it will tell you when the stick last did an update check. If it's within 10 minutes of you noticing that will be the reason, if not it's something else. As mentioned the stick doesn't have a standby or Eco-mode, it's always 'instant on'. The light will go off when it enters screensaver mode which will be after 10 mins  of inactivity (unless you've changed the setting).

Could be another reason such as tiny fluctuations in voltage supplied or someone pressing a button on the remote.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi- update - this mornning it was all switched off so this glitch and the connection problems might suggest a dodgy unit

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I really don't think finding the light on is any indication of a faulty unit. If you're havino trouble with connections maybe try having a read through other threads in the Stick area and see if any suggestions help.