cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Surround sound fail

I know the obvious answer but can't afford it at the moment!

I've signed up for the HD 5.1 Surround Sound package but can't coerce any 5.1 out of NowTV. My AV amp is limited to optical and my old TV, although having an optical out, doesn't seem to forward 5.1 on.

I have an HDMI audio splitter box but when using this the NowTV devices put a warning text up but it's to brief to actually read!! Something about HDMI 1.4 or some such. Only 2.1 comes out of the audio splitter.

So everything I've tried gets downcast to 2.1

Is there anything else I can try before cancelling the new package?

Thanks,

16 REPLIES 16
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

What device are you using to watch Now TV? As I bveleive this then determines how to update the app in order to get full 5.1.

Links below will give you some info 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-tv-boost

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-adjust-audio-settings

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using the NowTV Streaming Stick. I have a smart box as well. If only Sky had based the smart box on the ROKU 4640 as this has an optical out.

I'll review the settings to enable 5.1 in the stick. I wasn't offered any kind of app update. Once I've enabled 5.1 I'll do a check for updates.

Do you know if the warning the stick puts up when using the audio splitter something to do with it? Even though the splitter supports DD does the stick think it can't transmit DD+ as the HDMI version is too low so it downgrades to stereo?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Sorry but I only use my smart stick for travelling, haven’t tested it out with the 5.1 surround sound. 
Hope it works out for you!

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just tried a recent BT YouView box but that just pushes out 2.0 and gets a warning on MyAccount NowTV web portal about the box being too old and not supported any more!

One last chance is to try the HDMI audio extractor box on our Chromecast. 

Does anyone know if NowTV’s 5.1 works through the Chromecast?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just tried the Chromecast idea but I apparently need a Chromecst Ultra to stand a chance!

Does anyone know the minimum requirements for NowTV's 5.1 to actually be happy?! e.g. must it be HDCP2.2 HDMI 2.0b HDR DD+ / DD-TrueHD as a bare minimum!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

> Does anyone know the minimum requirements for NowTV's 5.1 to actually be happy?!

Think of the newest, top spec and then go up one or two!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have been having the same problem for the last few nights, with my Roku Express. 

Only getting PCM stereo, rebooted and 5.1 started working normally, forward to next episode , back to PCM again. I have Amazon on the same device. No problems at all with 1080 and 5.1 working normally.  Tried it through my old Humax/ Bt freeview box,  only receiving Dolby 2.0, even after checking surround had been ticked.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same problem here with Fire TV stick.  A programme listed as 5.1 will start in stereo.  I stop it, start it again, and it might be in 5.1, or in stereo a couple more times before eventually starting in 5.1.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

Now TV Tech say it's your internet speed.

They telling everyone with the same problem that !