cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Stick not working

Hi,

My stick isn’t working at all, the light isn’t even coming on. I’ve tried it with different plugs and different sockets, but it seems to be dead.

It’s just over 2 years old so isn’t covered by it’s guarantee anymore.

Does anyone know if there’s anything else I could try to get it working again please?

Or if not- I’m not very tech-y at all!- does anyone know if I could buy a new stick and just connect it to the nowtv account I’ve already got, so I don’t have to redo all my preferences/ passes etc, please?

TIA x

13 REPLIES 13
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Have you tried another USB power cable? As it could be the cable itself. 

Another suggestion would be to plug the cable into the USB port of your TV and power it that way.

You could have a nosy at this link for setting the stick back to factory settings. 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/hard-factory-reset-now-box-stick

From a personal standpoint, I would recommend against purchasing a NOW stick, if I were you, I would purchase an Amazon Fire Stick. Slightly more expensive, but gives you the option for the Ethernet adapter. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Should @gavs82008  sound advice not get the NOW Stick running again and the Stick is broken.

Also when attempting to factory reset the existing NOW Stick, hold the small reset button for about 15 seconds rather than the shorter time mentioned on the NOW Help Article and even if the white light is not showing on the Stick make sure both the Stick and television is powered on when factory resetting the old Stick.

Then to answer the last part of your question, then yes when you do decide to buy a replacement NOW playback device and when you set it up, just use your existing email address and password used on your existing NOW account.

Then any current active Memberships will be available to watch on your new NOW playback device, where you can have a maximum of up to six devices on a single NOW account.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps thanks for picking up on the last part of the question from @Anonymous User 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That’s great, thank you both, I really appreciate it! 🙏🏼
I’ll try everything you’ve suggested once my little one’s in bed in a bit.

Why wouldn’t you suggest going for a Now TV stick? I’m not sure what an Ethernet adapter is, is that why you’d go for a Fire Stick instead? Or is it about the service?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

In my opinion I’ve found that the NOW stick is prone to over heating, which one can only assume reduces the lifespan of the device. 

Compared to Amazon fire sticks the NOW stick is sluggish and sometimes can lose Wi-fi connection for almost no reason. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZZW3KJY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_P628QZ2TEH6R3E19HTRR

As for the Ethernet adapter. Very few streaming sticks allow this, but with Amazon if you purchase the below you’ll be able to connect the stick to the router via cable. Assuming you are close to it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LXP5TXI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_AG0AX5K7ASRWAVKQS6B5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

When trying a USB port on the television to power up the NOW Stick if a light does reappear on the Stick and you get a message on the television screen saying something like "insufficient power" then see if any of your USB ports are rated at 900MA or 0.9A or higher.

If the light does reappear on the Stick then there is a good chance it's not broken.

Also when you said you tried different plugs, i am assuming you have a USB charger plug rated at 5V DC 1A or higher that you find with certain mobile smartphone, tablets or other streaming devices.

If you have found the old NOW Stick working fine in the past with no issues with loss of connection, picture buffering, or need to regularly replace the batteries on the NOW remote or need to keep repairing the NOW remote then if you are happy with the NOW Stick then maybe buy a replacement Stick.

If you can stretch your budget a little further, then a Roku Player or Amazon Fire Stick would be my replacement choice over the NOW Stick (assuming you don't use the live pause TV feature on the NOW Stick ?).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ah I see, thank you both so much 🙏🏼 I’m not tech-y at all, so I really appreciate you helping me with this! 🙏🏼
My stick was regularly over-heating, and regularly lost connection (usually at important moments in whatever I was watching!), so that really makes sense, thank you. I’ll look into the Roku and Fire Sticks.

I tried a kid’s camera charger plug/ cable, I’ve got an iPhone so I wasn't sure if my phone charger would plug in? I’ll have a more thorough try after bedtime. I haven’t tried it plugged back into the TV yet, so I’ll give that a go too, thank you 🙏🏼 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thinking about the remote- I’ve replaced the batteries twice (in just over 2 years), so I’m not sure if that’s normal for this type of device, or too regular?

I actually replaced them this morning, and the stick ‘died’ about 2 or 3 minutes later- could it be connected at all?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

From memory, the NOW stick are battery drainers. That’s because the remote is “always” on, again if I’m not mistaken.