cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry, Now TV is currently unavailable

Hi, it’s saying on my tv screen “ Sorry, Now TV is currently unavailable, please try again later” it’s been like this for a couple of days, tried unplugging both tv and stick but still nothing, I can get it on my iPad, can anyone help please ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

It seems a few people have encountered this message on their NowTV Box or Stick.

Don't know if there is anything in this link thread below helps (there is a couple of workarounds mentioned).

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Box-black/Sorry-Now-TV-is-currently-unavailable/td-p/537230 

I haven't seen this message myself on my NowTV box yet.

View solution in original post

61 REPLIES 61
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Interesting information - thank you for the links.

It seems there is no solution to the vast number of DNS lookups from NowTV/Roku sticks. Some people seem to be saying that whitelisting the two domains (as I have) significantly reduces the number of lookups. Others saying that it's best to block these domains to stop Roku 'snooping' unnecessarily on people's viewing habits.

I think for me personally, as I rarely use the NowTV stick, the best solution is simply to switch it off.

Interestingly though, in my NextDNS logs, I'm only seeing the above domain lookups about once every 15mins or so. I'm not sure if this is because NowTV/Roku have actually fixed the problem with all these DNS lookups, or if it's because NextDNS is not actually logging or displaying the same level of detail that PiHole does (if the latter, then perhaps I should ditch NextDNS and return to PiHole).

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

If you were making a phone call and got through first time, how many times would you redial? 😛

Now won’t work if it can’t get through to demdex, and just stops.

But the Roku checks are programmed to rake place infrequently if they can get through; whereas if they can’t, they retry and retry at a furious pace. Something that’s designed to minimise the delay if there’s a temporary glitch, but no-one at Roku seems to have heard about backing off the frequency of attempts that keep failing - an omission that is a very amateur coding mistake, that should be caught by any decent code review and corrected.

Just whitelist them so they go through, and the blizzard ceases, though. And what, exactly, are Roku going to learn from these messages that you don’t want them to know?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.