cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Remote

Have a voice controlled remote that uses too much battery power, if left in remote, batteries drained within 2 days, anyone else had this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

It’s unfortunately how the remote has been built. They drain batteries like it’s going out of fashion! 

Just wondering how is your Now TV device powered? 
Do you have it permanently switched on? 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

It’s unfortunately how the remote has been built. They drain batteries like it’s going out of fashion! 

Just wondering how is your Now TV device powered? 
Do you have it permanently switched on? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Should I remove the charger from the stick when not using?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Best way to have it is by unplugging the Stick whenever your not using it. 

What I do if I need to use the stick for testing is to plug the “power” into the USB port of the TV. That way the stick is only on when the TV is on, this I’ve noticed helps preserve the battery better. 
Also ironically helps the performance of the device as well due to its prone overheating issues. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Two days before a fresh set of batteries die is shocking.

I know the smart remotes on NowTV and Roku are bad because they work on direct wifi where i was getting three to four weeks on my smart remotes and the buttons becomes unresponsive below 50%.

Better quality batteries improved this for me.

Two days doesn't sound right to me (unless one of the buttons are sticking or you are leaving the remote with the buttons face down on some sort of surface).

I am not sure unplugging the power adapter or removing the Stick will have any bearing on it because my understanding the smart remote is always receiving a wifi signal (might be wrong on this mind).

Perhaps put some decent batteries like Duracell into the remote and see how long they last when you unplug the power to the Stick overnight on a daily basis.

You might have a dodgy remote that needs replacing (hopefully under guarantee).

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

There is a 122 page thread over on the Roku Forum about batteries draining fast on their enhanced remote, plus if you type in your internet browser search something like "Roku Remote draining batteries" or something along those lines you will see quite a few search results .

To be honest i haven't read the 122 pages on the link below to find out the cause or if it's a design defect on how the Roku Enhanced remote works which would be similar to the NowTV Smart Remote (minus the headphone jack on that doesn't appear on the NowTV remote).

Obviously your point of contact would be NowTV rather than Roku.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes-Accessories/Enhanced-Remote-is-draining-batteries/td-p/511906 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

INSTALL on you phone "Roku - Official Remote Control" and control from your device. Works for both Apple and Android phone.