cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Remote pairing…. Please help

Ok so we have a now tv stick and due to my tv being an older model it recently was removed from being able to stream now tv, so I’ve borrowed my daughters from her tv as she much prefers to watch tv on her phone. I’ve tried everything hard re set, replacing the batteries, changing the USB port, re setting my router and the remote still isn’t pairing… how can it work on a tv (much older than mine and a matter of metres away) and not on mine it’s driving me crazy, it will switch my tv on and control the volume but can’t get past the pairing remote screen?

31 REPLIES 31
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User wrote:

Yes my tv is the Samsung pre 2015… I feel like I’ve missed out on something here but definitely not got an email checked junk too…

@Anonymous User 

Now was never described as supported on pre-2015 Samsungs, so you would not be eligible for the Firestick offer with a 2014 model.

OTOH, you say that Now just stopped working for you on your TV, which I understand it never would have on a 2014 Samsung TV.

Can you please specify the model number of the TV, so I can double-check the model year for you?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sure it’s a Samsung UE32J5500AK, sorry I’m not sure what the payment pin is about as I’ve not queried any payments etc, thanks for your help. It’s always worked through my tv without a stick until the update on 5/9.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

When you plug everything back into your Daughter's TV, try a full factory reset on the Stick by holding in the small reset button on the Stick body for around 15 seconds when the Stick is powered up.

You will then have to start from scratch and when asked use your existing NOW account details.

Hopefully you will get the Stick working back to where it was on your Daughter's TV.

Then follow my instructions on my first post (don't factory reset when swapping the Stick to your television) take a note of the signal wifi strength of the Stick and if using 2.4 or 5ghz on it under the Stick Network About information when still using the Stick on your Daughter's TV.

Then just plug the Stick on your television without pairing just to see if it works and check the wifi reception signal on the Stick on your television by going into the Stick Settings under Network.

If the Stick does then work on your television (minus the TV standby and volume buttons on the remote) then go back into the Stick Settings and under Remote setup on new / different TV see if it will let you assign the new IR codes for your TV standby and volume controls.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks it’s just not getting passed the pairing remote screen, I’ve unplugged everything, held the button down on the stick, taken the batteries out of the remote.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

It sounds like you have paired the remote with the TV, as it is working the volume and on/off, but not paired it with the Stick. In your first post, you said USB port, but the Stick connects to an HDMI port; did you mean HDMI?

Or are you trying to power the Stick from a USB port on your TV, rather than using the power supply that comes with it, or should have?

For first setup, it’s best to use the power supply to power the Stick.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry my fault it’s in the hdmi slot with the power plugged into the wall, with the power supply that came with it.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

When factory resetting the Stick, keep holding in the Stick reset button for around 15 seconds or more when the Stick is powered up.

Also whenever i have to get my NOW Stick working again because the remote has frozen I remove batteries first and then disconnect the power on the Stick then add fresh batteries, then power up Stick (this is not repairing just a method I have found when the Smart voice remote on both my NOW Stick and Roku Stick doesn't respond to any button pressing on the remote).

Also have a read of these instructions in the link below about repairing the remote which is different to the above.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-pair-your-smart-remote 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Still the same tried all the above steps (now on my 3rd batch of batteries) the light is flashing so it’s not the batteries, thanks for the link I’ve read all the links on all the remotes just to see if there’s anything I’m missing. I’ve unplugged everything now and taken the batteries out and will have another go later but I’m on the verge of giving up until I saw the price of a new stick (wow) thanks for all your help I appreciate it if you can think of anything else at all….

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

A factory reset on the Stick should clear the attempt to pair with remote message you are seeing on screen and you can start again by entering your Router wifi Network details etc.

Or have you done a factory reset by holding in the reset on the Stick whilst powered on for more than 15 seconds and when you get to the stage where it attempts to pair with the remote it gets stuck on the same screen message ?

If the NOW smart voice remote can't pair over wifi then from my experience it is either a wifi signal issue with either the Stick / Router or wifi interference with the remote and Stick or there is a fault with the Stick if the batteries are new.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes so the stick is plugged into the wall for power, I’ve held the button for 15 seconds it goes off then powers up with the now screen, gives me the languages then I press a button on the remote and it just circles around, I don’t even get to any other point am I doing something wrong?