cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Remote pairing…. Please help

Ok so we have a now tv stick and due to my tv being an older model it recently was removed from being able to stream now tv, so I’ve borrowed my daughters from her tv as she much prefers to watch tv on her phone. I’ve tried everything hard re set, replacing the batteries, changing the USB port, re setting my router and the remote still isn’t pairing… how can it work on a tv (much older than mine and a matter of metres away) and not on mine it’s driving me crazy, it will switch my tv on and control the volume but can’t get past the pairing remote screen?

31 REPLIES 31
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

There are two types of remote, which might explain why you are unable to pair the "new one". Have a nosy at this link.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/remote-control-troubleshooting

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you yes it’s the “smart” remote and I’ve tried all those steps, the remote isn’t new btw it’s the remote that came with the stick…. Thanks so much for replying though…. willing to try anything at this point…

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

When you say hard reset, shall I assume this was a factory reset?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/hard-factory-reset-now-box-stick

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes holding the button down on the stick etc

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

When you swapped the NOW Stick from your Daughter's TV to yours did you just swap it over and go into the Stick Settings under using the remote with a different TV or did a factory reset first and started all over again setting the Stick up from scratch? 

What I would try first is to get the Stick working fully again on your Daughter's TV, then before swapping over to your TV go into the Stick Network Settings and see what the wifi signal is like and if using the 2.4ghz or 5ghz wifi Network in your home (if your Router is dual band) when using the Stick on your Daughter's TV.

Then swap the Stick over to your television (for the time being don't factory reset it) and use the supplied Stick power adapter if you still have it.

Then firstly see if the Stick is running on your television (at the moment ignore the standby TV and volume command buttons on the NOW voice remote which will still be assigned to your Daughter's TV at the moment.

Then if you can get the Stick running on your TV (minus the two buttons above) go into the Stick Settings under About Network and check the wifi signal.

If the wifi signal is poor and you have a dual band Router then try the different wifi band on the Stick to see if there is any difference with the wifi signal reception.

After that, go back into the Stick Settings and under Remote pair to new TV, try the procedure again to see if it will pick up the TV standby and volume buttons command codes.

If it doesn't and going through the tedious manual steps by listening to a short bit of music following the prompts, then you may have to give up with the TV standby and volume buttons and just use the more important buttons to operate the Stick from the NOW voice remote.

Also when setting up the Stick on your television, stand has close has possible to the Stick during the setup process with the remote and select the best HDMI port where the Stick body has the most free air around it.

If you have a HDMI extender fly lead cable use that has well to improve the wifi reception between both the Stick and Router and Stick and NOW voice remote.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you so much for the detailed reply so I’ve just put the stick back into my daughters tv and it’s doing the same as mine pairing remote with beeps every so often, I have the original power pack yes so that’s what I’ve been using, am I presuming now I need to re set it on her tv or? I’ve also checked my emails nothing in junk or anything from NOW about the removal etc I can’t thank you enough for replying 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Also if you was using NOW on either an LG 2014 / 2015 Smart TV or Samsung 2015 Smart TV and when using the NOW App you got a screen message saying from the 5th of September the NOW App is not supported anymore.

Then I would double check your email inbox and junk/ deleted folders for any recent NOW email correspondence in the last say couple of months, where there be some possible good news about using an alternative device if your Smart TV from 2014 /2015 was your primary NOW playback device for watching NOW.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes my tv is the Samsung pre 2015… I feel like I’ve missed out on something here but definitely not got an email checked junk too…

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The pop up message on the NOW App screen only relates to 2015 Samsung Smart TV's running the older Tizen OS and from memory they are the J series model.

And if this TV model was your primary NOW viewing via it's inbuilt native NOW App then NOW should have notified these owners by email from my understanding.

If you was using an older Samsung Smart TV from 2014 or older then they never had the native NOW App on them in the first place and hence no email would be forthcoming about them with the App being unsupported and removed from use on the 5th of September.