cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Remote not pairing

I’ve had the stick since March and I often need to pair it with the remote. Currently, the stick will flash the green light constantly as if it is paired, but has no control over the stick whatsoever. The stick is not scanning to pair the remote, so I’m assuming it is connected. I’ve put new batteries in it and there is no change at all.  I can’t find any info other than taking the batteries in and out to force it to re-pair with the stick. No matter how long I have the batteries out of the remote, the green light comes back flashing as soon as they’re put back in. 

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, I'm having the same problem, as soon as I insert the batteries the green light starts flashing but still wont pair. NowTV graciously sent me a brand new remote but... It is doing exactly the same thing! can anyone from NowTV respond?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I don't work for NowTV, but if it was me i would be tempted to try a factory reset on your Stick.

To factory reset the Stick whilst the TV is switched on and the Stick is powered up hold in the small reset button on the Stick for about 15 seconds.

Should you have any difficulties after factory resetting the Stick with the six digit activation code on your television set then get in touch with NowTV live chat.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We've had a similar problem.  Our remote keeps draining batteries really quickly & we have to change them every few days.  We were sent a new remote which for some reason wont pair.  Like you we get the flashing light but its not pairing.  We've reverted back to using the old remote for now

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Blimey i thought my NowTV smart voice remote was pretty bad with draining batteries over about three or four weeks with heavy use, but a few days is shocking.

I have found that the NowTV smart voice remotes eats through cheap batteries from places like Poundland, Pound Stretches etc and inserting better more expensive batteries seems to help me.

With regards to the new replacement remote not pairing (assuming the replacement remote is the smart voice remote and not the older infra red remote) then see if anything in this linked guide helps.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/remote-control-troubleshooting 

When pairing the new remote by following the instructions in the above link, try moving the remote controller closer to the NowTV Stick when pairing them together.

Also if you are using 5ghz on your Router, see if using the 2.4 ghz wifi band with the Stick works better when using the remote.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps,

Thanks for the reply.

We've tried all of the troubleshooting, we've tried using expensive batteries but nothing seems to work hence why we ask NOW to send us a new remote which we can't get to connect at all. 

We also seem to have problem whereby whenever we turn on NOW TV it says it can't connect so you have to uplug it and plug in in again.

Couple that with the problem of the error page loading and the sound cutting out (which seems to have stopped now) we're beginning to look at other options.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Is the NowTV Stick being used on the television in the home nearest to your Router ?

If not try temporary moving the Stick onto the nearest TV where your Router is located, then try repairing the new remote, then swap back to the television that the Stick was purchased for.

Also if you have a HDMI flylead extension cable around the home (something like that comes free with a Fire Stick) then try that with the NowTV Stick.

Have you also tried a full factory reset on the Stick ?

Sometimes a full factory reset will resolve the repairing problem, though some customers have been encountering difficulties with the reactivation code that pops up on the television screen when you factory reset the Stick.

Where i can, i try to use Ethernet and more of a fan of the NowTV Boxes which from my experience seems to work better than the NowTV Sticks.

If i was looking for a new replacement with a similar Stick format and you can stretch your budget a little maybe consider the Roku Stick + (i own one of these and it's a pretty decent streaming device especially with the wifi inline booster antenna).

Black Friday is around the corner and i wouldn't be surprised the Roku Stick + will be on sale around £30 to £35 by going on some previous deals on the HotUKDeals website.

Though the Roku Stick + is not that energy efficient when it comes to battery consumption because like the NowTV Smart Remote it uses wifi and is more battery draining compared to infra red type remote controllers.

Anyway hope you sort your NowTV Stick out.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnappsWe've tried a full factory reset and the stick is in the TV nearest to the router.  It always used to work, I just dont understand why it would suddenly start to have all of these problems?

We have looked at the ROKU Stick + but I wasn't sure if that would help?  I know that they make the sticks for NOW so I didn't want to waste money on new hardware if its a problem with the software? I might, like you suggest, wait until black friday and see if I can get one and give it a try.

Thanks for your help 😊

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I am sad to say that every supported device that runs NowTV has had bugs or glitches on them.

Never come across a bug free NowTV App.

Out of all the devices that i have used with NowTV, where i have tried most of them, that i find the full blown Roku Players the most stable.

Perhaps other NowTV forum members can recommend another device that they are happy with in terms of using the NowTV App. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If it was me and you are thinking of a full Roku Player, then jump over to the HotUKDeals website (type Roku in search engine on their website) and read some of the comments and feedback using Roku devices, though the majority of the comments might not be NowTV App specific.

Though like i said the Roku Stick + is pretty stable over wifi in my home environment and hasn't let me down, but the batteries only last about 4 to 6 weeks before they need replacing.

The Roku Express and Premier are miniature streaming boxes and the remote controllers are infra red and need line of sight, so they should be more kind on batteries.

Though the Roku Stick + will have in theory a better wifi antenna with regards to wifi performance.

Again perhaps other NowTV forum members can offer some input on the other Roku devices with regards to positive and negative aspects on these two slightly cheaper streaming devices.

The Roku Streambar looks like an interesting product if you need a TV streamer and compact Sound Bar has an all in one solution.

If it wasn't for Covid 19 lockdown and social distancing rules, then i would  have suggested try attempting to setup the NowTV Stick and new remote in a family members or friends home setup to see if you could get it connected and running.

Should the Stick be under 12 months old, maybe try a replacement Stick under warranty with the Retailer you purchased if from or ask for a refund.

Anyway good luck whatever direction you decide to go.