cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Remote battery life

Has anyone had issues with the amount of times they need to keep changing the batteries in their remote?

At the moment I'm having to replace my batteries every 3 months.

That surely can't be right?

12 REPLIES 12
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Both my nowtv smart remote on my 4K smart box and Roku remote on my Roku Stick Plus offers similar battery life of 3 to 4 months.

Where I am guessing because it uses direct WiFi to operate the devices, it drains the batteries more quickly because its always on the WiFi network, compared to a conventional IR remote which only uses battery power when you pressing the remote buttons. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Having same problem. Put new batteries in on Christmas Day and it’s already run out. Probably 5th set of batteries in 2 months and there not cheap either 😡

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I have noticed since recent firmware / software updates on my NowTV 4K Smart box that the smart remote controller is starting to eat through batteries myself where i am getting about a month out of my remote.

Also i noticed when using cheaper batteries, when the battery level is about 50 % or less the remote starts to get unresponsive 😡

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Mine are draining weekly??!!

iHubbi
Scholar

Hi everyone, 

It sounds like a physical technical fault with the remote as my understanding is that the remote doesn't work unless you have physical pressed a button so to make a connection which then transmit the information to the box. 

If your battery is draining down in a short time then this could be caused by either a short in your remote or a faulty battery (unlikely).

It's very easy to get a short in your remote control it can be caused by spilling a drink on it.

I hope that this will help. 

Good luck. 

GJ

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same problem.

The Now TV remote is basically a Ruko remote. They are all having the same problem. It appears to be design / firmware as the remotes are not infra-red (because the stick is behind your tv).

That said, it is not good.

Sollution - Probably isn't one!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

INSTALL on you phone "Roku - Official Remote Control" and control from your device. Works for both Apple and Android phone.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I have had to factory reset my Now Stick because it frozen 😢

How do I get back into communication with it from the Roku mobile app?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

When you start the app from the bottom menu go to Devices. You should see it there if all ok