cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
padsonline
Mentor

Re: Quality issues on Sky Sports - some kind of patterned overlay?

THEY CAN DO NOTHING 

0 Thanks
branflakes
Scholar

Can confirm i'm still getting the patterned overlay. There was even a major update to the roku/nowtv software at some point recently but the issue remains.

Have spent months going back and forth with customer services via email, but they barely even acknowledge the specific issue and suggest I make sure i have enough bandwith (which I do).  Have also raised it twice on twitter, providing examples when requested bu then received no response.

I advise others who have the issue to tweet them and basically pester them until they finally devote resources to investigating and sorting it.

it's a shame to have to watch a big game like liv v man city with a poor quality stream.

to clarify i am not talking about the 'breaking up of reception' like one of the previous posts. i am talking about a specific and obvious patterned overlay.

it's still there over adverts and half time punditry - it's just especially noticable on the green pitch and ruins the quality.

DaBoyo
Advocate

Yep I am having the same issue on PC and I'm a boost customer. 

The quality is shocking!

0 Thanks
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@DaBoyo 

Boost isn’t supported with the Now TV player on PC

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-tv-boost

0 Thanks
Barnet1
Observer

Terrible quality on Liverpool Man City game- unwatchable 2nd half. Audio fine- visual awful  

0 Thanks
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@branflakes @Barnet1 

What devices are you using?

Do you happen to have an Amazon fire stick? 

If your using Now TV stick, then I would fully recommend ditching this in place for a Amazon fire stick. Much more reliable than Now TV sticks.

0 Thanks
branflakes
Scholar

hi, thanks for the response. i am indeed using a nowtv fire stick. 

i don't have an amazon stick but am tempted. i do regularly have to unplug and replug the nowtv stick for other issues e.g. dodgy audio. 

georgemans on page 1 however reported the same issue on an Xbox, so i'm wondering if it's an issue with the nowtv app rather than the hardware, which makes me unsure if an amazon stick would fix it.

0 Thanks
Saint1976
Elite 2

@branflakes while I appreciate this doesn't help you, my stream is absolutely crystal clear.

IMG_20210207_180809__01.jpg

So then you have to ask the question, if others don't have the problem, and NowTV can't see a problem with their equipment, what's different about the equipment or location of the few people that are reporting it?

Are you all in a similar location and connecting to the same data centre (server)? Do you have the same TV? Are you using TruMotion or similar interpellation software that's built into the TV? Are you using the same ISP?

I'll hazard a guess that it's a compression artifact or your TVs software. Someone in another thread says he sees that when his stick is used on his 4k TV but when he moves the stick to an older non smart TV, the effect disappears.

0 Thanks
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@branflakes 

In all honesty mate I would strongly advise getting an Amazon fire stick.

One thing I can safely say is that I own a Now TV stick, Roku stick and an Amazon fire stick. The Amazon fire stick is by far the most reliable device and not just for Now TV performance, with Now TV itself I’ve found to have zero issues with it when I watch Now TV on my Amazon fire stick.

0 Thanks
branflakes
Scholar

thanks for the helpful response. yes it's very peculiar why it just occurs for select people.

it seems to be related to a deliberate overlay on the pause screen (see the very first post) which then doesn't fully go away when the pause stream goes away. 

i am wondering whether it might be my TV which is non-smart and quite old. if i had another tv i would experiment!

0 Thanks