cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Quality issues on Sky Sports - some kind of patterned overlay?

Hello!

I recently purchased the sky sports pass with Boost, and I am using a NowTV Stick. The quality was a little below my expectations considering it's 1080p 50fps (it looks noticeably worse than BT and Amazon).

Upon a little investigation I noticed that it wasn't a problem with the sharpness, but rather that there was a subtle pattern overlay/watermark on the picture that was making it look patchy and artefacted.

I then noticed that when I pause and unpause, the overlay can be seen clearly (it then fades after a few seconds, but not completely). 

This picture shows what I mean (towards the bottom half):

It seems to happen on all the football channels, I checked Netball out of curiosity and it didn't happen there. It also doesn't happen when I stream from the NowTV app. I know its not my TV as I stream plenty of other stuff without this. 

Is this pattern familiar to you guys? Is it some kind of anti-piracy measure? I would understand if that was the case but it's visibly affecting my streaming quality. Even the 720p feed casting from the iPhone app would be superior to what I've currently got if the framerate weren't so poor. 

Anything I can try? 

thank you!

38 REPLIES 38
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry to revive an old thread, but can anyone clarify whether or not this issue is isolated to the Now App when using it on a TV, or if this also happens when viewing Sky TV channels broadcasting?

I ask because anything through Sky in a live broadcast is patchy like camouflage overlay, but when on demand, it’s perfectly fine.

Personally, I believe this to be how the Now TV App handles compression and upconversion to a 4K tv — specifically with regards to Sky channels, as other non-sky channels are prefectly fine.

Mobile devices are perfectly fine, and my guess is that live broadcasts through traditional media channel boxes work perfectly fine as well.

Thoughts?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

My understanding is that it’s across many “big screen” devices such as Smart TVs, Amazon Fire sticks. 
Don’t have an active sports membership so I can’t comment. @schnapps  take it this issue is still happening and my assumption on devices is correct with boost or not?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @gavs82008 

In the past i have seen this camouflage picture effect on all three of my main playback devices which are the Amazon 4K Fire Stick, NOW 4K Smart box and Youview 4K box whilst watching live Sky sports with my Boost Membership.

I haven't noticed the camo effect in the last week or so, using my Amazon Fire Stick.

Haven't used the other two devices during this time to check.

Previously the camouflage effect did disappear for me for a short time, then reared it's ugly head again 😡.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Having this problem too. Poor for the price you pay. 

any solution?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Are you using a Now TV stick?

Usually doing a factory reset to the device can squash bugs on the system and get it to work again.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 

Watching through NOW TV app on Xbox One X 

Seeing the same textured pattern/ overlay as someone pictured above.

Extra noticeable on the green pitch.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Can think of two suggestions.

1. Delete and reinstall the app 

2. Unplug your router for a couple of minutes and turn back on

If they fail, report the fault with Now TV staff. Best option to send an email so you can provide screenshots.

81DF7611-E5A1-4AD7-8919-3D2518A0554C.jpeg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Liverpool  v City reception breaking up last 10 minutes of first half - unwatchable 

studio adverts all OK - clearly the signal from the ground

THIS HAPPENS REGULARLY ON BIG GAMES - TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yep I am having the same issue on PC and I'm a boost customer. 

The quality is shocking!

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Boost isn’t supported with the Now TV player on PC

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-tv-boost