cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amiga1200
Scholar 2

Pre Roll Ads WITH Boost

Has anyone else started getting pre roll adverts even though you are paying for boost? I've just spent 5 minutes battling with my NowTV stick to begin a movie. After about 10 attempts to watch a movie and it showing me an advert instead which I immediately quit back to menu from, it eventually granted me permission to watch what I am paying for.

Just to be clear. As far as I'm concerned the following ARE adverts:

Adverts for third party products.

Adverts for other items on NowTv. NowTv may call these trailers. They are not. If I choose to play them they are trailers. If they autoplay when I choose to watch other content I'm paying for they ARE adverts. This is what I was getting.

Another thing I've noticed is my movies offer of £5.99 a month has seemingly been reduced to £3.99. Not sure if this is to offset the boost price hike so people don't hit cancel all when boost goes up or just due to the lack of new premiers. Might be worth checking how much your next payment is.

I wonder if this means that paying for boost no longer means you won't get adverts, it just means you get 5.1, HD and can stream on more than 1 device. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Amiga1200  Yes strangely this happened to me last night. Promo for “East of Maretown” (as I prefer to call it) before ep 21 of “The Blacklist” via Apple tv 4K. Haven’t seen one for can’t remember how long! Suspect it was a glitch.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

@Amiga1200  Yes strangely this happened to me last night. Promo for “East of Maretown” (as I prefer to call it) before ep 21 of “The Blacklist” via Apple tv 4K. Haven’t seen one for can’t remember how long! Suspect it was a glitch.

Amiga1200
Scholar 2

I think the brief glimpse of the advert I saw was also for Mare of East Town... which I have already watched the whole series of so maybe they were testing how people react. It was at what I guess you would call a regular viewing time for me so could be targeted by time but not by viewing habits as I'd already watched that series on NowTv.

@Amiga1200  Yes we have also watched the whole series (ages ago). Still tend to think it was probably a glitch at their end that caused it to happen when it shouldn’t have. But you may have something with your suggestion that it might have been to test reaction! Maybe it’s up for an award or something? If it isn’t, it probably should be…

Amiga1200
Scholar 2

It would seem it wasn't a glitch. I watched a movie, tried to start another and the adverts came. The back button was blocked. I had to hit the home button to exit the adverts, tried watching the movie got adverts... hit home, tried to watch the movie, got adverts. 

Hit home, opened a different app. Found same movie. Hit play. Movie played.

Paying for Boost no longer means you don't get adverts. I guess they are counting on people wanting Boost for access on multiple devices. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Amiga1200 

If it’s any consolation I have watched a couple of movies on NOW over the weekend via my Somy Bravia Android TV and not a single advert. 
So I’m not sure if it’s perhaps a glitch on your device? 

Have you tried to log out on the stick and back in? 
Worst case you could ensure the stick is fully updated or setting it back to factory settings.

The simple case is that you should NOT be getting third party adverts with Boost. Over the entire weekend and since having boost I’ve never encountered any adverts whatsoever.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Amiga1200 

Just to clear things up - promos for NOW content and other memberships (Like Entertainment) are diffrent from 3rd party adverts (which are usually for products and services separate from NOW) these are usually shown in a block, whereas promos tends to be just one. Promos have been on the service for over a year.

Thanks

Simon

Amiga1200
Scholar 2

I know some people see a difference between intending to start to watch a movie and getting unskippable, back button blocking promos and starting to watch a movie and getting unskippable, back button blocking adverts but they serve the same purpose ultimately. They are broadcasting video you didn't choose to watch and preventing the back button from having its normal function. Call it what you like.

Thankfully there is a solution and I've now reduced my entire monthly bill with NowTV to a grand total of £3.99 until September. Was that a successful promotion?

So to be clear... Paying for the now more expensive Boost Package will not mean you won't have your intended viewing interrupted by unskippable content that blocks your back button.