cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Poor Quality Stream - NowTv Stick - Apple Tablet ok

What has happened to the TV stream!! I've never had a problem until this weekend, where what seems to be after an update the quality is like watching through my frosted bathroom window.

The stream starts ok then after a few minutes the quality starts to gradually decrease, sometimes I've seen this happen before but the quality quickly improves again (based on internet speed).

What i think has happened is the new software update seems to have removed the function to improve the bitrate of the video when the wifi quality / internet improves. So it's a constant cut to the bitrate with no improvement. 

The router is less than a meter from the tv stick.

The stream works fine on my apple tablet.

I'm using the nowtv stick (3801UK) with update 9.3.3 (build 4104-56) and other channels that i've tried ,channel 4, itv and bbc i can watch them live without issue

I've tried restarting the router, nowtv stick and tv for good measure

I've used the chatbot to try get some additional help and to my surprise it's worse than a google search. I just want to talk to a support agent!

We pay all this money to nowtv and they cant even be bothered to have proper support agents.

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've had exactly the same problem this weekend trying to watch sports. A few seconds good quality then as you say, like looking through frosted glass. Unfortunately it coincided with an Internet service issue in our area which I thought was the problem, but now there's an alert message on the Nowtv website saying they are aware of a problem, which I assume is it. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

I did perform a factory reset, but still the stream was bad quality.

Just seems to have fixed itself

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jason1s

Are you still having this problem? I am. I have checked and reset everything.

Regards

Sid

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Sid,

I've just checked sky sports f1 and now everything seems to be ok with clear streaming.

Jason

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Jason. I'll keep trying. It may be a genuine problem with my stick. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I've got both the nowtv stick and roku 4k stick. I would say the roku stick
is way more superior than the nowtv stick which is still made by roku.

It's more powerful and has the antenna in the USB cable to increase
performance

I use the nowtv one for when I'm around my girlfriends but it feels like a
constant battle with the official nowtv stick. Every time I press the home
button it restarts instead of going back to the main screen.

If you can't fix it might be worth getting roku 4k. Plus you can get amazon
prime video on that too.

I'd be much happier to see nowtv integrated in my android TV. Seems to be
the only app that I can't get with it!

Jason
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Do the other live chanels on itv, bbc iplayer or c4 [play ok?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jason, thanks for the information, I'll get a Roku stick if I do need a replacement. I played a Sky news bulletin streamed from YouTube, first via my smart tv and then from the Nowtv stick home page app. Both played fine. I've also played 4K video from Nowtv stick YouTube app so the stick seams to function hardware wise in that respect. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The frosted glass is back, I only notice really when the F1 is on as i watch this the longest.

ITV, C4, BBC Iplayer and C5 Live channels work fine.

There is a different between live TV and pre-recorded shows. Pre-recorded normally uses TCP where live tv uses UDP unicast/multicast. The difference being TCP will request for any lost packets and UDP does not.

I just don't get why all other live channels seem to work ok, but the sky sports do not. (This is the only nowtv pass i have)

This only started happening after a software update on the nowtv. My educated guess with having an I.T background is they've changed something underlying how the buffer works, and because my connection is not really the ideal connection, 9.4mbps download bandwith, with 60-100ms latency, this is why only some people are affected.

I've watched gogglebox, british bake off, bbc news all on the live channels without a problem.