cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV stick can’t connect to router

I have an old TV with a NowTV Roku stick in my “den” at the back of my garden. The den has an ASUS router which the NowTV stick uses for WiFi.

The NowTV stick has previously worked fine but now won’t. Everything else (iPad, etc) works fine with the router with a download speed of about 40-50 meg. The NowTV stick works if I tether it to my iPhone (but I don’t have unlimited 4G data so don’t want to use that).

I’ve tried updating software, factory resets, etc (both router and NowTV stick). If I disconnect the WiFi and reconnect, the stick claims to have connected but then halts and says there is no internet connection.

Any ideas what’s going wrong? The stick was bought in the early days of lockdown - around March/April.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Sounds like there is something on your Router or something in your Router settings or third party software is blocking the Stick connecting to your Router.

Are you using a fixed open public DNS on your Router something like Google DNS ?

If so have you tried setting up your Router by using the automatic dynamic DNS provided by your ISP.

Or if you have some additional third party software on your Router, try temporary disabling it to see if the Stick connects.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks.  What is a bit puzzling is that it has worked fine previously and just stopped working at some point during the last few weeks, but I’m not aware that I’ve changed anything with the router (I was working on the basis that it worked so leave it well alone).

I can have a look in the router settings but I’ll be honest that I’ve no idea what I’m looking for. The router is set up as an access point as it piggybacks off the main house WiFi connection.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Can you experiment with temporary using the NowTV Stick in your main House using the main Router and bypassing the WiFi access point on your secondary Router.

My IT and Network skills are pretty limited myself (i am an AV enthusiast) but i am sure i either read somewhere on the NowTV Community Forum or Roku Forum a recent software update caused internet access problems with Open / Public DNS with certain customers devices.

Might be barking up the wrong tree and maybe other forum members have an idea what's gone wrong with your Stick ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I had the same idea and tried it in the house this evening with the same result, which I suspect points to the problem being how the NowTV sick interacts with the google mesh system we use in the house (and which the ASUS piggybacks off as an access point).

Now the challenge is how to solve it ...🤔