cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV failing to start

Hi, I have been enjoying NowTV via A Roku stick for some time. Yesterday, when I clicked on NowTV, the screen showed “NOW” and returned to the normal Roku screen showing a number of channels. Other channels continue to work as normal eg BBC iPlayer. My subscription is up to date. Help, please.

13 REPLIES 13
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Since the rebrand to NOW last week. With dropping the “TV” from its name there has been multiple issues with the rebranded NOW app on Roku devices.

This has been mentioned across the forum like this thread 

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Off-Topic-Chat/Now-TV-will-not-launch-on-Roku-Express/m-p/556491#M19186

The standard reply on social media is “keep looking for system updates and app updates, we are working on it” 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

It's a known problem effecting certain Roku Players.

NOW are aware of it and trying to fix the problem.

Here's one example thread linked below.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Off-Topic-Chat/Now-tv-keeps-defaulting-to-the-home-screen/m-p/556830#M19257 

My Roku Stick Plus never had the problem with new NOW re-brand rollout update, but others are having problems (especially Roku owners with the less powerful devices).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Me too , tried everything,  can't speak to a human,  can't live chat , that doesn't load up , thinking I've made a poor choice with now tv. 

Pretty crap 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

I managed to find my old Roku Express model number 3900EU which i haven't used in about 3 years.

Updated the firmware under Settings > System > System Update > Check now and it updated to software version 9.4.0 Build 4200.

I then went back to the main Roku home screen and again went into the Settings > System > System Restart  > Restart.

After the Roku Express rebooted the new re-brand NOW App was showing on the Roku home screen.

When clicking on the new look NOW App for the first time it took one or two minutes to load up, then after that i was navigating around the new UI without any noticeable problems from my quick 5 minutes test (though i agree that the jumping between the NOW UI screen pages are much slower than the previous NOW App).

I have got an old purple Roku Stick somewhere in the house and i am going to try and find it tomorrow.

Where my gut feeling that this older purple Roku Stick with less processing power and RAM will be the device that is going to cause me difficulties updating to the new NOW rebrand App.

Hopefully i can track down the old purple Roku Stick to test out.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

If you have the NOW stick, I’d strongly recommend ditching it and purchase an Amazon fire stick. It’s proven to be far more reliable and runs the rebranded NOW app smoothly.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
ettyg
Mentor

Can you let me know what you did to make it work please. Yesterday I scrounged a firestick , reset it to factory setting and side loaded the now app, and it's still not working. So i'm fast losing the will to subscribe. The only difference i found between firestick and roku is that now i can browse the now menu before i get an error message.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@ettyg why did you side load the app? It's an official app available from the Amazon store.

ettyg
Mentor

It was the only way i could find the app, so i followed the firesticklab instructions. I'll go back and search the app store and give that a go. Thanks for replying.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@ettyg a couple of people have reported not being able to find it. If you can't find it through the Firestick, I believe you can add it via your Amazon account on a desktop computer and have it 'send' to your matching Amazon account on the Firestick.