I bought a NowTV stick a few months back and it's been used regularly with no problem.
I recently bought a second one and while my daughter was watching youtube, a warning kept coming up on the screen saying it was overheating. I'd never even considered this might happen before.
I checked the stick and sure enough, it was red hot - like, barely touchable hot. The exposed metal on the HDMI plug was burning hot - I could not physically keep my hand on it.
Thinking it was faulty I swapped it immediately for the other one, and checked the temperature less than half an hour later in the "secret screen". There was no warning during this time but the temperature of the stick was a scorching 111°C.
The NowTV stick isn't plugged direct into the TV - TV only has one HDMI so I'm using a 3-in-1 extender which is a good foot away from the TV.
I read somewhere to try powering it from the TV's USB port, but the NowTV stick then complains it isn't getting enough power.
I've read that these things have destroyed TVs - statements I'd normally take with a pinch of salt but something in direct contact with the inner electronics of a TV, running at over 100C? This cannot possibly be safe.
Have I just dropped on two faulty ones? Or is this normal? If this is as good as it gets then I simply won't be using them as I'm sure the heat is going to cause damage in one form or another.
No, you send that one back as faulty.