cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now tv boost not working.

Just signed up to the Boost free trial but nothing is showing up as 1080p or 5.1 on tv or phone app.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

When you go to My Account > Passes & Vouchers whilst logged in on here does it show you have started the 7 day Boost Trial and on the same page does it also show your cinema and entertainment passes are active ?

Also i am assuming your entertainment & movies passes are not part of a Vodafone deal ?

Apart from that, i can only suggest try signing out of the NowTV App on your television, then temporary unplugging the power to the TV for say a minute, then restart the television and log back into the App with your account details that you double checked on here.

If that doesn't work perhaps a fresh install of the NowTV App on your Samsung Smart TV.

Otherwise see if a Samsung Samsung TV owner can come along and offer you some assistance or try NowTV live chat.

Because i don't own a Samsung TV i don't know what the 7830 figure equates too, where NowTV are quoting somewhere around 12 Mbps to use their Boost Pass service.

i am guessing none of the new movies such has Captain Marvel is showing the HD 5.1 symbol next too it.

Also i haven't got a Boost Pass my end to check. 

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RoyB 

On your Roku Stick Plus Audio settings did you try Dolby only or Dolby Plus only instead of the combined Dolby / DTS mode ?

I have just signed up to the Boost Pass myself, where sometime through the course of tonight i am going to test my Roku Stick Plus with the HD Boost Pass on the AV Receiver in the back Cinema Room.

It will be an interesting test, where i can compare the NowTV HD picture quality against Netflix HD and Amazon HD on a 92" projector screen and 5 .1 surround sound on my Pioneer AV Receiver and 5.1 speaker /sub setup.

Watching HD Boost on my 50" Panasonic 4K TV the most noticeable significant improvement is the 50fps playback on Sky Sports Main Event & Premier League which i was expecting to be honest (more than the bump from 720p to 1080p).

The other Sky Sports channels even with the bump to 1080p hasn't improved much has a viewing experience over 720p where the 25fps is still spoiling it for me.

Let's hope NowTV can update the other Sky Sports Channels to 50fps sooner than later, then i will gladly buy a Sports Pass on a more regular basis.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RoyB 

My Roku Stick Plus immediately detected Dolby Digital Plus when watching a HD 5.1 surround sound movie on NowTV with the Boost Pass, which was confirmed on the AV Receiver digital display panel.

The audio settings on my Roku Stick Plus was all set to Auto.

Must admit the picture quality on HD was pretty good and the DD+ sound was excellent using my go to reference movie Oblivion which excels in both PQ & SQ.

Finally i can now watch the Blockbuster movies that i have been holding off on my NowTV Cinema Pass in my Home Cinema setup 😊.

RoyB
Legend

@schnapps 

I’ve got a bad cold, so I am not on top form at the moment 🤧

I saw your link to which of Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS I should use.

Getting the app on the TV working was easy, I think, because it isn’t going to offer anything the TV can’t handle, and the Yamaha DSP2500 seems to be able to handle anything, from reading the manual in bed last night, with a nice Lemsip instead of my usual Viognier.

But I have no clear idea of what the Roku Stick is doing in this area; whether it is just telling me what it can do, or whether it has negotiated with the TV and is showing me what the two can do together, or what. But I think Auto/Auto ought to work, as it does for you, and it doesn’t for me

I’m happy with the app for now though, as we get the full benefit of the Boost through it.

I’ll return to the Roku Stick when I’m better 🤒 Also a few of the things I’ve found the soundbar can do that I’ve never played with.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RoyB 

Get well soon.

I always seem to get a touch of the Man Flu during the festive holiday period and it spoils my Christmas 😠.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

When you watch the sky sports channels with the boost should the sky channel logo in the top corner of the screen show that it is the hd channel?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Nope there is no indication on the actual television screen when you play a Sky Sports HD channel when on a Boost Pass.

The only place i can see the HD logo is on the dedicated Sky Sports EPG page by navigating to the Watch Live Sports on the front Home screen horizontal rail or whilst watching a Sports channel and pressing the OK button on my box remote to bring up the on screen information where there is a small HD icon added at the end of the Sky Sports channel.

I noticed if you access the main overall NowTV EPG either via the TV Guide or the TV Guide picture thumbnail box it doesn't show HD next to the live channel list ( which also includes the entertainment, cinema channels list).

Not sure the reason for this or if it's a limitation with the software or a bug which needs ironing out.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Tried everything written in posts but not working so now cancelled, waste of time for me untill they fix whatsevers wrong. But NOW TV dont seem too concerned because they are still offering the service in which for lots of people simply doesnt work.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You activate the Boost, having paid for it, by going into My Account on any device, finding the Boost Pass there, and selecting the button in there.

The HD then comes on automatically, but you may have to follow the instructions you will be given if you want to turn on 5.1 sound.

I see no other reports on here of the HD Boost not working, though there have been a few asking how to turn it on.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have searched and unfortunately I don't even get the option to even trial the Boost Pass. It just isn't there!

I have both a stick and a black Smart Box, even have my phone and broadband with Now.

Any ideas?

Thanks

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Was you on the older legacy NowTV Combo package that was introduced about 3 years ago with the NowTV Freeview Smart Box and TV passes on the same bill ?

I believe when NowTV introduced the Boost Pass back in November there was a problem where certain Combo customers didn't see the option to buy the Boost Pass on their account.

Don't know if it's resolved now (perhaps a Combo customer can confirm either way).