cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andyydna
Mentor

Now tv Live stream delays

Anyone have any ideas as to why there is such a gap between different Now tv devices when streaming live content?

I have ran a couple of comparisons the Nowtv smart stick is around 22 seconds behind sky, the Now tv lg tv app is a further 5 seconds behind.

Chromecast is a full minute plus behind the live stream.

Of course i expect a delay when streaming compared to traditional watching via sky dish however the difference in the delay dependant on the device used is odd.

Im sure someone much more Brainy than myself will be able to explain why this is!

4 REPLIES 4
Matthew1234567
Scholar 3

I've noticed this (when comparing to Freeview) watching live from the Sky News app and BBC i-Player that are both way out.  No issues with connection and refreshing makes no difference 

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Andyydna wrote:

Anyone have any ideas as to why there is such a gap between different Now tv devices when streaming live content?

I have ran a couple of comparisons the Nowtv smart stick is around 22 seconds behind sky, the Now tv lg tv app is a further 5 seconds behind.

Chromecast is a full minute plus behind the live stream.

Of course i expect a delay when streaming compared to traditional watching via sky dish however the difference in the delay dependant on the device used is odd.

Im sure someone much more Brainy than myself will be able to explain why this is!

@Matthew1234567 @Andyydna 

It's a weird one. From what i have heard it's that the stream has to go through a sort of security protocol after being streamed to our side and the once again once the stream is passed to the customer. No idea why different devices are affected but i have noticed that myself. The only reason this security protocol is in place is to combat piracy but as with 99% of media it has its own drawbacks.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The Apple tv3 Now TV app must be about a minute behind sky F1. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is there a way to minimise this?