cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndyFin
Advocate

Now Tv with work VPN on Router

Hi. I have been supplied a drateck router with VPN installed from my work so I can access my pc at home whilst working away. Standard setup these days I'm guessing with home working. After installing I've noticed that now tv (and all4 actualy) no longer works on my now and roku sticks.

I've tried support chat and email multiple times and got nowhere. Other than multiple resets and checking connection which is always fine.

Does anyone know if the presence of a VPN for work use could be the cause of this and of so how I could solve this?

Mentioned the work vpn to support and they just didn't respond.

22 REPLIES 22
redchiz1
Champion 2

That's a very generous way of looking at it! If it is not the VPN connection which is interfering with your NOW and All4 services then I have no idea what else it could be. Have you tested on devices on other than your sticks e.g. mobile, or tablet? 

AndyFin
Advocate

The Now site and App work on our smartphones when connected to the same WIFI/Router but not the sticks. Now works on both sticks if I connect them to my mobile hotspot (using mobile data). all other apps that are geo restricted (Netflix, Disney+ etc) work fine through the sticks however I connect them.

Also just discovered (following restart of everything after IT have tinkered with settings to no avail). If I connect the stick to my phone on mobile data then Now will launch. I can then switch my phone to WIFI and disable mobile data, so acting as a bridge between the WIFI and stick and now will work fine. I'm Guessing that its in the initial launch that the issue is but not had chance to test if and how long it will stay connected.

not a routine I want to follow every time i want to watch something but at least a work around until i can find an answer.

redchiz1
Champion 2

OK, have you tried resetting the sticks? Or uninstall and reinstall the app on both and sign in anew?

AndyFin
Advocate

yep, full factory reset 3 times on each, the latest being after IT had tinkered with the Router settings.

chilli2
Elite

Is your switching to full fibre/ fttp then with BT you may have to use the BT hub in order to have a landline.

I would unplug the work issued router, and use your own, or the supplied BT kit ,as the work supplied router is preventing you from using your own connection, and then leave it to your works it department to find a solution to what is their problem, and not yours.

AndyFin
Advocate

the fibre switch will be to a different provider hence I don't want to sign a new contract with BT. the landline isn't even plugged in so not an issue.

as far as ditching the VPN goes, as I replied to Redchiz1, the vpn is foe my benefit as it allows me to work from home. 

redchiz1
Champion 2

If NOW TV works on a mobile app connected to the same router I am scratching my head now. Is the wireless SSID showing up when you try to connect the sticks?

AndyFin
Advocate

it has everyone scratching there heads. yes SSID shows up sticks connect fine as the other apps work. I've tried setting up new SSID's on different channels and everything works but the Now App on the stick

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @AndyFin 

When attempting to watch either NOW content or content through the All 4 App on your Stick is there any error message or code ?

Bit of a long shot but adblocking software on certain Routers can affect watching NOW on the Stick and is also been reported on certain software using All4.

If you do a search on the Community forum there is a couple of threads (especially if you are seeing the message NOW is currently unavailable).

To overcome this you need to whitelist a certain file (hopefully the search on the Community will give you what files need to be white listed).

Might be worth investigating just in case it's adblocking software on the Router being the culprit, rather than a VPN issue.

Devices that I have noticed comes a cropper with Adblocking software is NOW content on NOW branded and Roku devices plus Apple TV streaming boxes.

redchiz1
Champion 2

Good shout @schnapps, do you know if it is possible to set manual DNS settings on the sticks?

@AndyFin what DNS settings is your router using?