cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndyFin
Advocate

Now Tv with work VPN on Router

Hi. I have been supplied a drateck router with VPN installed from my work so I can access my pc at home whilst working away. Standard setup these days I'm guessing with home working. After installing I've noticed that now tv (and all4 actualy) no longer works on my now and roku sticks.

I've tried support chat and email multiple times and got nowhere. Other than multiple resets and checking connection which is always fine.

Does anyone know if the presence of a VPN for work use could be the cause of this and of so how I could solve this?

Mentioned the work vpn to support and they just didn't respond.

22 REPLIES 22
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@AndyFin 

Not sure if this will be of help.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/cant-access-vpn

Otherwise best to call the broadband team using the number from the below link.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
AndyFin
Advocate

Hi gavs82008.

I dont have now broadband its BT broadband and its just Now TV app that's not working. Interestingly I can watch the app on my mobile devices connected to the same router but not the sticks.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@AndyFin 

Ah right I got you!

Yeah NOW are like Netflix with VPNs. In my experience a few do work but can be a bit of a pain. That being said, the second you take off the VPN it’s almost a guarantee that NOW will work.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
AndyFin
Advocate
I wouldn't mind if I was using the vpn to try and watch geo restricted content but it's for work and all servers and IP's are uk. I've tried to see if I could just disable the vpn to see what happens but only option on my router is to delete it. Think that may pass off my IT a little.
redchiz1
Champion 2

Try talking to work: tell them thanks very much for the secure router, but you can't use your own stuff on it. Unless it's a work connection also and they are paying for your broadband, in which case you might be scuppered. 

chilli2
Elite

Does the Work router plug into the BT one, or does it replace the BT one altogether?

Are you on a business account with BT, or a home - ie home ( not for work) connection?

Do you have BT Digital voice?

AndyFin
Advocate

Hi Chilli2

The router replaced the BT one all together. Initially set up with hub in bridge to the router but couldn't get the VPN to work properly.

The account is a home account. I did look at changing to business to get a static IP (they don't do static on a home account) but looking to switch to fibre in a month or two so didn't want to tie into a new contract.

we don't have digital Voice.

redchiz1
Champion 2

In which case I would definitely take it up with work. It is reasonable of them to ask you to use their equipment in order to maintain a secure VPN connection. It is not reasonable for that to then prevent you from accessing other broadband services for which you are paying. 

AndyFin
Advocate

Hi. unfortunately the VPN is entirely for my benefit as it allows me to work from home or client office on occasion. without i will need to work from Office/Client office. My IT are looking into it but cant fathom out what the problem is as the VPN is set purely to connect a single device (my laptop). Now's technical team are now not even responding to my emails so cant even find out what setting may be causing the issue.