cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV stick

My TV doesn't connect to the internet but i have been told that if i have the Now TV stick plugged into my tv the Now Tv stick will work?

can anyone tell me if this is true. I don't want to spend money getting one of this is incorrect

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous User
Not applicable

As long as you have a hdmi input to plug the stick into the stick will connect to your WiFi 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

When you say your television doesn't connect to the internet i am assuming you mean it's a non smart basic TV, but you have a working internet in your home ?

Does your television have a HDMI port on it to plug the NowTV stick into the television ?

If so, to use the NowTV stick your need an internet speed of more than 2.5 Mbps a television with a HDMI port on it and where your television is located a good wifi signal for the stick to work reliably.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Okay thanks. 

So it cant go in the USB port?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

H @Anonymous User 

Nope the USB port is an option instead of using the supplied power adapter plug that comes in the box for running the power for the stick (i doubt your USB port would be sufficient to run the power for the stick because older televisions USB ports doesn't have the required power specification of 5V DC 1 A).

Your television must have a HDMI port on it for the stick to connect to and work.

Do you know the make and model number of your television ?

If so i can do a quick check on the internet.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

my tv does have a HDMI port but for some reason has stopped working, changed the cable, used the cable on something else so its the TV. that's why I thought if the NOW tv stick could go into the USB port it would be good 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If your television has only got one single HDMI port on it and you believe it's not working (where i assuming you have tested other devices on the single HDMI port ?)

Then the NowTV stick would be pointless because it wouldn't work.

A work around might be a HDMI to RCA or Scart adapter box which means an extra device more cabling and these boxes are a bit & miss if they work or not, are a little more complicated to setup where good knowledge about how AV works, so i wouldn't even go down that route.

Plus the picture quality would be SD and rubbish on these converter boxes if it's down scaling the picture from HD digital to analogue into your television.

What devices have you tried on your HDMI port other than swapping the HDMI cable ?

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @schnapps 

Hey Lola

Just a couple of pointers:-

HDMI and USB ports are shaped differently and are electronically different from each other, so you cannot fit and HDMI device into a USB port and visa-versa, and you tried to force it you would damage your TV and device beyond repair.

Next, if you have a faulty HDMI port you might be able to get it repaired, it should be relatively simple to do by any competent electrician it's just that nowadays it's cheaper to buy new electronics than getting them repaired.

Finally (and this is my non-point), if your TV is more than 5 to 10 years old you would be better off buying a new one, because the Now TV stick may not be able to work with an older TV, the protocols (how the two devices communicate) may not be compatible. 

UK Bob