cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV stick overheating

I have read other posts. Been a problem for a while now. Have done as others have suggested. This hot weather making it a lot worse. Worried it might be  hazardous. Any new suggestions? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User the NowTV stick is very similar to the Amazon Fire Stick so I thought I'd see if they have the same problem and yes they do. Amazon include an HDMI extension cable in the box so that the sick can be positioned a good distance from the TV and away from any major heat sources which most users report has helped.

You can purchase one for about £5 and they come in varying lengths. Worth a try.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Deedee - last night we tried using the little one-inch HDMI extension cable which came with the Now stick and actually managed to get through a whole episode of Perry Mason without being inundated with on-screen captions saying 'Your stick is overheating'!

At the end of the episode the stick felt quite hot to touch, but it was obviously less hot than when we just plugged it straight into the TV.

Not getting carried away, but so far so good....and it was a hot, sultry evening complete with thunderstorm!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

...update: Still using the little one-inch HDMI extension cable and another evening with no overheating problems. Eureka! (Hopefully).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had the overheating issue - got the message only the once. Switched it off, let it cool down. Used a few more times with no issues, or so I thought.

I now have an unwatchable telly 😡 - totally kaput and needs replacing due to a huge flicker in the corner where the inputs (ie Now stick) are.

Sorry but that's a hell of a coincidence. 

My stick will be going to the dump with my TV, don't want to be doom-mongery but Id suggest others follow it... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My TV Stick said it had overheated about two months ago and has not worked since. Do I get a replacement from NOWTV? I think we ought to! If not, do I get my money back? If not, do I cancel my subscription? I guess so. Any solutions from NOWTV yourselves would be appreciated. I have been trying to make a complaint through your back end for months but I never hear back

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 
The main question is where did you purchase your Now TV stick?

What I found to avoid overheating problems was to power the stick via a USB port in the TV.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Surely the USB port delivers exactly the same electric current as a standard 3-pin mains plug?

In terms of the Now stick overheating the game-changer for me was using the little, one-inch HDMI connector lead, which is supplied with the stick. Put this between the Now stick and the HDMI socket on your TV and all the overheating problems go away.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

It powers the same yes, but when the TV is on standby the Now TV stick is effectively powered off. 

This is how I got around the overheating when I was testing for Now TV. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ah! That's interesting. We use the USB as power source and I often wonder whether the stick is 'powered up' or not. That answers my question.

Our overheating problem manifested itself when we were watching a programme using the stick. Even if the stick was stone cold at the start of the programme, about ten minutes in we would get the overheating message come up on the screen, even using the USB as power source.

This is why the one-inch connector cable was a godsend. As soon as we started using that the overheating stopped and, touch wood, has never returned.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Where did I purchase it? Through you! You sent it to me. NowTV≥ It worked
for many months but then stopped working. I am assuming it was because it
overheated since I did get a notification up saying it was overheating and
after that it never worked again
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Well I can assure you that you certainly didn't purchase your Now TV stick from me, because I am a customer just like you. 

For any issues with your Now TV stick  I would suggest going onto Live chat and speaking with Now TV staff directly. 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-complaint

Just make sure you click "chat online" within the green box

Alternatively you can sen an email to the address in the picture below.

Now TV Customer Services Email.jpg