cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV stick overheating

I have read other posts. Been a problem for a while now. Have done as others have suggested. This hot weather making it a lot worse. Worried it might be  hazardous. Any new suggestions? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User the NowTV stick is very similar to the Amazon Fire Stick so I thought I'd see if they have the same problem and yes they do. Amazon include an HDMI extension cable in the box so that the sick can be positioned a good distance from the TV and away from any major heat sources which most users report has helped.

You can purchase one for about £5 and they come in varying lengths. Worth a try.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User 

I was having a similar problem a while back

Check out this thread  https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Stick/Now-TV-stick-gets-hot/td-p/463959 

Hope this helps 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ours overheats too, Dros. We don't have the stick in the sun or near a heat source and all our windows are wide open! Seriously thinking of watching 'Succession' on Amazon and paying a bit extra because the overheating caption is really annoying and, quite apart from that, I don't want something malfunctioning in this potentially dangerous way!

I looked at the forum 'solution' (below) and couldn't work out what it was trying to suggest:

"I noted the temperature (listed under the secret menu) and read 92 °C. (presumably there is a cut-off point should it go beyond a certain temperature). You won't regret making the change thanks to the updated processor etc."

Secret menu?? Cut-off point? 'Making the change'? I don't understand any of this.

Can anyone explain, please?

I understand that we are experiencing hot weather at the moment, but when the stick isn't plugged into the USB it is cool and only becomes hot when it has mains power connected.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you hit the home button 5 times followed by the forward pause rewind pause forward quickly it will take you to a menu which shows the temperature of your stick 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, Deedee. And does that help with the overheating problem?

Tony.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

No it just gives you an idea at the temp your stick is operating at although I’m not sure how accurate it is 

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User the NowTV stick is very similar to the Amazon Fire Stick so I thought I'd see if they have the same problem and yes they do. Amazon include an HDMI extension cable in the box so that the sick can be positioned a good distance from the TV and away from any major heat sources which most users report has helped.

You can purchase one for about £5 and they come in varying lengths. Worth a try.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. Will try that. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can I ask a really stupid question? Does the Now stick require a power source (i.e. from a USB port or mains) in order to work?

The reason I ask is that it seems to be connecting the stick to a power source which makes it go hot, not being attached to the TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes it does require a power source 

When I spoke to online chat they recommended it be powered from the mains and left on,I assume to get updates.Maybe someone else can clarify this??