cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MY19
Advocate

Now TV stick - Can't run app

I have been trying to set up a Now TV stick that I previously was using. It seemed to be okay and then I went to access the Disney+ app but it said I needed to do a software update. I proceeded with the update but when it started back up I get the message:

Can't run app

'Now Homescreen' could not be run because it could not be reinstalled from the network. Please check your network connection and try again.'

The message has the options 'Check network' or 'Cancel' if I press either, nothing happens and I get a black screen.

I have tried usual troubleshooting methods of turning off/on the tv and NowTV stick, restarting my internet, trying the software update again and factory resetting the stick. Each time I still get the same message. I tried contacting the live chat and he recommended another factory reset and logging in with my username rather than email but when I get to the end I still get the same message. The chat got cut off and now I am unable to get through to anyone else. Has anyone else had the same problem and managed to get it fixed?

46 REPLIES 46
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Out of curiosity who is your ISP. 

Are you all on Virgin. 

If using Virgin then it may take 30 minutes when unplugging the power to the Router for it to automatically acquire a new IP address. 

When temporarily testing using your smart phone has a wifi hotspot did anybody try either another full factory reset on the Stick or tried a forced software update by pressing the home button five times, then quickly pressing the FF fast forward button three times, then pressing the RW rewind button twice on the Stick remote to access the Stick secret menu. 

It does sound more widespread, but so far I haven't seen any tweets about this over on NOW Twitter Help page or any tweets from NOW themselves. 

I can't test my NOW Stick because the remote has given up the ghost a few weeks back. 

My NOW 4K box has had a recent firmware update with a couple of changes that I don't like and is now far more sluggish using it, but it still works. 

Kevinpb
Advocate

I am with EE

FergalB
Advocate

I got an email this morning from support asking me to do another software update. This has now solved the problem finally!! Thanks for your advice. They have found and fixed the bug. 

RBZ
Scholar

Another one to add to the list.

I couldn't access the hidden settings menu to the left of the home screen & the stick was very sluggish. Factory reset & now hit the same problem as others in this thread. During setup, an error was reported at the very end of updating apps & now can't load the home screen app. Option to check network just a blank screen. Reset again but same result.

I'm with BT so not a Virgin issue.

No sign of life on Live Chat so logged it on the web form. Will report back any response.

Annoying because this is the only way to pause live streams. I have at least four other devices with the Now app but pause is only supported on this.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RBZ 

Not fully true, the live pause is also on Roku and oddly Apple TV devices.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/now-features

You can pause and rewind the live TV channels for up to 30 minutes with any of the supported devices below: 

• All NOW devices (NOW Smart Stick, NOW Smart Box with 4K & Voice Search, NOW Smart Box with Freeview, black NOW Box) 
  • All Roku devices
  • Apple TV HD (4th gen) or 4K
  • BT TV Box (rewind for up to 2 hours).

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RBZ
Scholar

@gavs82008 wrote:

Not fully true, the live pause is also on Roku and oddly Apple TV devices.

It's fully true in that I bought the stick solely for that feature & don't own any of the others.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RBZ 
It is only true for the devices you own. Otherwise your statement is factually incorrect.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RBZ
Scholar

Just speculation but I reset my stick because it had become really slow to start up & navigate. The only thing that's changed recently is the addition of the ITVX app. I'm wondering if that's maybe swallowed up the remaining memory allocated for apps & preventing Now's own home screen app loading?

RBZ
Scholar

Heard back from support who requested a forced update. That found & installed something despite no update being reported available previously. But sadly no change even after another factory reset.

Edit: I see that the forced update simply re-installs the current version.

Kevinpb
Advocate

I have the same problem. Done all the supposed fixes but made the problem worse. Think I need to use the complaint procedure