cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smartsticksared
Advocate

Now TV Stick No connection cut out

I own 2 now tv smart sticks with remote (yellow plus).

Both lately over the past 2 weeks keep cutting off mid tv.

States theres no internet.

Few seconds later is says restored. And you have to find the thing you were watching and click on it again.

But it happens frequent.

Ive seen it happen at a friends house too in the same time period on their same now tv stick.

However when streaming outside the box there is 0 issues.

It cant be all our now tv sticks are faulty.

Is there more to it than that? Are these sticks not supported and now are facing constant issues.

Never had it before until recently.

Tried all the troubleshooting steps. Resets. Updates. Turning off router. Etc.

Does anyone have any similiar experiences.

Its frustrating as its the remote that made me buy the sticks. 

Also annoying when it happens during live sport.

Livechat was a waste of time.

6 REPLIES 6
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Smartsticksared 

When you say reset is this a factory reset?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/hard-factory-reset-now-box-stick

Otherwise personally I’d bin the two sticks and replace them with much more reliable devices like Amazon fire or Roku sticks.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Smartsticksared @gavs82008 

Beware of the issue where after factory resetting a Now Stick, it will want you to buy a membership to resume using it.

I do not know how you overcome this 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Kayak
Advocate

I have similiar problems.

I have a Now TV stick which was purchased direct from Now TV.   I've been using it for the past couple of years without any issues, until December.   It cuts out during a film/programme and reverts to the NOW app menu. No matter if using BBC iplayer / Discovery +, etc thru the TV stick, it does the same. Then when you try and resume in the programme/film, its never where it had cut off from. It's driving me mad. I'm paying for Entertainment & Film, as well as the extra for HD, but can't watch anything all the way through.   I'm about to cancel as had enough.  Also, recently having issues with the remote not always working (Batteries have recently been replaced). 

Also, does anyone experience how hot the stick becomes?

It's burning hot and in my opinion a safety hazard, so I only use for a few hours then disconnect from the back of the tv.

I've followed the troubleshooting advice, but programmes, etc. still cut off.

WiFi signal varies between Good & Excellent.  I have a Virginmedia WiFi booster Pod upstairs, which i've used for the past 6 months without any issues. 

Altho, its strange that the Now TV app on my Smart TV downstairs has no issues, so assume it's the stick causing the problems. 

Please help! 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Kayak 

Sounds like the stick is heading out the door to die, best to get a new device as the stick is no longer made nor sold. My recommendation would be either Roku or Amazon fire.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Nitro
Scholar 2

@Smartsticksared 

@Kayak the circuit board of your TV, is most likely heating the device - would suggest the same and get a HDMI extender and keep the stick infront. 

Nitro
Scholar 2

@Smartsticksared the back of your TV is most likely affecting your wifi signal.

Go to amazon and get some HDMI extenders and leave the stick in front of the TV. Not only will they be cooler, but they will have a stronger signal.

Roku's own version of the stick, automatically comes with an extender, as well as wifi extender - so you should do the same.