cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not tv stick not working on sky network

My sons now TV stick was working fine till a few weeks ago. 

It started coming up saying can not connect to network.

We can see the network. It connects fine. Says Wifi is excellent but cant do anything on the stick.

If I use my mobile has a hotspot it works fine. 

It's not an issue with the broadband. The connection is fine on every thing else in the house and shows the devices are getting 19mbps.

I have done every thing I can fine online.

Reset network connection.

Did a power reset

Did a factory reset on the stick itself.

Check for updates.

Changed the data settings

Moved the now TV stick 

But nothing is working. A lot on here said they just had to keep trying but I've been doing this for weeks!

3 REPLIES 3
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

This is a bit of a long shot, but if you can access the secret menu screen (not sure if you can without the network connected).

Then perhaps try pressing the HOME button on the remote 5 times followed by one press of FF,PLAY, REW, PLAY and finally FF.

Once the secret screen appears on the television, select System Operations Menu, then change Disable Network Pings to Enable Network Pings, then keep pressing the back button on the remote until you are back to the start page then see if you can reconnect to your Sky Broadband again.

If no joy, go back into the secret menu once again and set the stick once again into default of Disable Network Pings.

Also have you customised your Sky Router where perhaps there is something on the settings or your Sky Shield settings is possibly blocking the connection to the stick ?

Perhaps try a factory reset on your Sky Router by pressing reset button for about 15 seconds and maybe temporary switch off the Sky Shield software to see if the stick will connect to your network.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

When you temporarily used your phone has a mobile hotspot with the stick, did you try going into the secret menu by pressing Home Button 5 times, then quickly pressing FF Button 3 times, then quickly pressing the RW Button 2 times, then select Update Software even if the stick is on the same version number whilst using the mobile hotspot ?

Then once you forced a software update on the stick, then try reconnecting to your Sky wifi network.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

For me the stick usually works fine, but on a bad day it gets glitchy and I'll have disconnections, on other days the stick reset on it's own (it's happened twice), the menu freeze or remote stop working for a few seconds (a forced reset is sometimes necessary), or no wifi detected at all by the stick, with a blank nowtv live channel guide - despite the mobile or pc connecting to the wifi just fine. I definitely think the stick needs to be updated more often to fix bugs or conflicts that could mess with how it picks up and keeps a signal.

I have only had the stick since May, but I swapped the batteries for new ones as a last resort yesterday after it stopped connecting with the remote playing up, and the device worked again after a restart.  It's likely a massive coincidence though. You could try using the Roku app which RoyB has mentioned in another recent post, to single out if the remote has problems. I have noticed one or two users mention rival sticks do not have the same connection problems, although I haven't tested any other out. I suppose the batteries received with the stick itself could partly be at fault for freezing. The stick itself is powered by the mains. Initially after purchase, I was more concerned about the on screen stick temperature readings on the hidden menu - normally very high that could lead to similar issues, but they may show an incorrect reading.

With constant signal cut outs or no signal, when not down to the stick hardware, I'd be thinking along the lines of

1) a weak or faulty router. I have a near ten yr old BTHomeHub, I shall replace it one day - moving the router closer to the stick for a stronger signal if possible might help

2) weak wifi signal as a result of interference from other electrical devices nearby, or cross channel interference from neighbourly wifi. perhaps neither are that likely to be an issue, but you can change the wifi channel from your wifi router homepage in a browser (you'll have to look up the router manual or model of router online to find out it's address). you can view all wifi channel signals nearby that may be overlap with your own using related tools, eg looking up How to Find the Best Wi-Fi Channel for Your Router on Any Operating System

3) other devices such as phones or computers in the home connecting to the same wifi router, hogging all your internet bandwidth by watching media or downloading constantly as you attempt to watch nowtv or high quality videos. this may cause disconnections - there are tools you can use on a computer to limit it's own bandwidth or how much internet it uses up. I don't know if there are any tools to limit a mobile phone, but then switching off wifi on all phones might be easy enough. search for bandwidth or net limiting tools

4) poor internet overall, eg internet forum users sometimes note cut outs at odd times which they suspect is deliberate or the fault of their provider, although I suppose it is possible this could be more of a local landline issue also