cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

No video, no sound, HDCP error

Hi, I have been using the now TV stick for 2 years on my LG television (manufactured 2012). All of a sudden last night the video and the audio disappeared from when playing content, while subtitles could still be seen and I could still navigate the stick menu and options. I then got the HDCP error and since then tried all possible solutions but nothing seems to work. Tried to reset the stick but made no difference. I have tried the stick in a different TV and it works ok. I have chatted with 2 people of the now tv support and one said that the television is not supported anymore and the other said that all TV are supported, so I am very confused, and both time the chat connection conveniently dropped so I got no answer. Does someone know what it could be and if there is any chance to fix it? Very frustrating! Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

When you say “reset” is this just rebooting the stick by turning it off and back on again? Or a factory reset indicated in the link below?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/hard-factory-reset-now-box-stick

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I have used the reset button on the side and re-introduced all my details!
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Hate to say, but it sounds like the stick is on the way out. If I were you I’d purchase a new device such as Amazon Fire or Roku stick.

You won’t get any new NOW branded sticks as they are no longer made or being sold.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I agree with @gavs82008 

Your Now Stick should work on any TV, even a 2012 LG where the native Now app is no longer supported, but the Stick will attempt an HDCP handshake with the TV, and not send the full signal to the TV if that fails.

But although that might happen with very old TVs, and certainly with old monitors, a 2012 set should be OK.

So I would deduce that the Stick is erroneously failing the HDCP check, and is indeed on the way out.

Don’t throw away the remote though, maybe put it on eBay, as these are coveted items, now fetching more than the whole Now Stick packages did originally 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for explaining this, and thank you for the suggestion about eBay😆 I guess most of the frustration came from how suddenly the problem appeared and the discordant information received from the now support! I was paying the monthly subscription just to use the stick, probably going to be cheaper to use the money to buy a new smart TV!

Thank you and @gavs82008 for your time and help!