cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoyceNWUK
Advocate

NOW stick stopped working

Hello,

I have a NOW stick which does appear to pick up the signal (indicator light comes on) for around 10 seconds, then the indicator light flashes for 8 pulses then the stick goes dark.  I have re-set router (NOW broadband), switched TV on/off, unplugged NOW stick and TV - waited and, nothing.  Tried this several times over the last hour and nothing.  Can anyone suggest a help route, please?  I have tried the Quick Response bot help and well, it wasn't helpful.  Thanks, everyone.

9 REPLIES 9
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @JoyceNWUK 

A flashing white light on the NOW Stick itself can be a number of issues, such has loss of internet connection, HDMI connection issue, Power connection issue or the Stick is trying to update a major software version.

Can you test the Stick on a different TV with its supplied power adapter ?

If you have the NOW voice physical remote controller and have an active NOW TV Membership, then perhaps try a full factory reset by holding in the reset button on the Stick for around 15 seconds whilst the Stick is powered up.

JoyceNWUK
Advocate

Thanks for your response.

I have tried it on another TV, even the reset on the Stick, and the indicator still lights up for 10 seconds, flashes for 8, then goes dark - leaving me in the dark as to what to do next.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @JoyceNWUK 

Did you hold in the reset button on the Stick for more than 15 seconds whilst the Stick was powered up to force a factory reset ?

If using the supplied power adapter, do you have a TV with a USB 1 A port on it to try that instead of the supplied power adapter.

If you also have a USB phone charger rated at 1A or higher and another USB standard to USB micro cable lying around try that as well with the Stick.

If nothing works then you may have a broken Stick.

JoyceNWUK
Advocate

Thanks again for your response.

Yes, the reset was held for more than 15 seconds - each time I tried the process and it is directly into the USB ports on my TVs.  I do not have Smart TVs so would not imagine the USB ports are 1A rated.  If they are, I am unaware of it.

Do NOW Sticks just 'break' suddenly?  It was operating perfectly until I switched off the TV last night.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @JoyceNWUK 

I am assuming you mean the Stick is plugged directly into your TV with it's HDMI port and you are using the power for the Stick with the supplied NOW power adapter.

It's a shame you haven't got a USB charger and another USB cable just to take the supplied power adapter and USB supplied cable out of the equation.

Yes any electronic equipment can fail suddenly, though it's hard to tell if it's the Stick has failed, or the power supply or power cable or something else is causing the problem.

Sorry I haven't got any more suggestions (unless other forum members can offer more things for you to try).

JoyceNWUK
Advocate

Have tried the mix of taking out the supplied NOW adapter, using smartphone USB chargers and cables and the Stick still has the on/flash routine so no apparent fix there.

Thanks for your responses and help suggestions, in any case.

JoyceNWUK
Advocate

Sorry, that should read 'NO apparent fix there'.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @JoyceNWUK 

Sounds like the Stick has failed or overnight if the Stick was still left plugged into the mains socket an overnight software may have corrupted the Stick if there was a power outage or power surge.

You could try leaving the Stick powered up for around 30 to 45 minutes to see if it resolves itself, but my gut feeling is the Stick is broken (especially if you tried a different USB charger and cable, and a full factory reset tested on another TV in your home).

The NOW Stick has been discontinued for a while now, so if you can't get the Stick up and running again, then maybe consider something like a Roku or Amazon Fire Stick if you are after a replacement streaming device.

JoyceNWUK
Advocate

Thanks for all your help.