cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW stick replacing remote

Remote failed 16th October. Spent considerable time communicating over Chat, having to repeatedly re-enter information and then having Chat timeout and having to do it all over again. Eventually Now agrees to order and send me a replacement. Today I query and get told the remote was ordered but as I haven't received it all I can get is a credit on my account and that I must find a replacement myself. Then Chat immediately times out so I can't respond unless I want to go through the whole ridiculous charade again.
Man up NOW TV and stand by your product. Its not enough to pass the buck back to your customer.

Any suggestions as to where to buy a replacement ?

BTW trying the app remote on my phone but no on/off, or volume. Also using ROKU on my phone, more functions but no on/off or volume

8 REPLIES 8
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Ebay might be a good place.

If I were you, I would jump over to another device such as Roku Express or Amazon Fire.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Unfortunately the Roku Remote Control App will not operate the TV standby on /off or TV volume, where you have to use your TV remote instead.

The Roku App runs over direct wifi with the Stick, where the physical NOW Smart remote controller for these two above function buttons operates on infra red by copying the IR codes off your television.

i am guessing you have already Googled replacement NOW Smart Voice remote controller to see if Amazon or Ebay have stock ?

if it was me i would look at a cheap Roku player or Amazon Fire Stick with Black Friday coming up at the end of the month.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

On second thoughts a Amazon Fire Stick would be my first choice, because of the current on going battle between Roku and YouTube.

Where YouTube so far are threatening to remove their App on any new Roku devices after the 9th of December 😠.

And the latest spat between Roku and Amazon, where Amazon are also threatening to pull their App if Roku and Amazon don't come to some sort of agreement about user data between both parties 😠.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Tks for the suggestions. The remote for the stick seems to be out everywhere. One on Amazon for £30 + and on eBay for for R30. Sky Currys Argos nothing

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Best I’ve found on eBay that’s not in an auction:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284511167180?epid=5035155451&hash=item423e2fe2cc:g:CXgAAOSw~n1gQXEJ

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

B&M got mine there £15 with 2 months entertaiment package free wee while ago, so if got one local try @Anonymous User 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am with you. My stick remote stopped working and after 2 hours chat told me to hit the rest button. Did as directed and then tv said to LETS START.. asked language and automatically went to Pair remote and of course no green light. Their answer to me was I needed to order a new remote but they don't sell ghem, surprise surprise. They said to go to Sky and order from there, did that ans the online store is closed, to call them and they were big enough to give a number. But  surprise, they don't sell the remotes, go to Amazon. Did this and order, came this morning but doesn't work, no button on the back to pair. Chat again this evening for over an hour and still no resolution, just get cut off when things don't work for them. Absolutely a bloody disgrace the service. WILL NOT RECOMMEND TO ANYONE ANY THE MORE WE CAN LET PEOPLE KNOW TO AVOID THE BETTER OFF THEY WILL BE.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

The prices for the Amazon Fire Sticks or Roku Players are currently selling for some amazing deals looking over on the HotUKDeals website.

One thing I forgot to mention if you want the on/off TV standby and volume TV adjust buttons on the Fire Stick or Roku Player you need to go up the higher models in the range (do some research if you are going to buy a replacement streaming device of the features you really need before purchasing).

Because of the ongoing current dispute between Roku and YouTube and Roku with Amazon, the Fire Stick would be my first choice if the features and their Apps on their service meets your needs. 

However there is no guarantee that third party Apps will be on any service when new contracts are coming to the end and are being re agreed. 

I am hoping the Roku dispute with YouTube and Amazon blows over because I have loads of existing Roku Players around my house (YouTube is safe for me for now, where currently YouTube are only threating to pull their App on new Roku devices on or after the 9th of December from the last time I checked on the Internet (this might have changed in the last few days because I haven't kept up with the news).