cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MartinAsh1978
Scholar

NOW TV Boost, no 5.1

Hi, 

I've just started the trial of NOW TV Boost on the NOW TV stick. HD is being recognised but the Boost settings are not recognising 5.1 even though I have that set in the audio settings. 

I have tried signing out and switching off the stick but nothing works. 

Anyone got any ideas? 

20191124_185531.jpg

20191124_185502.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all. For 5.1 to work the NowTV boost settings must be set to either DolbyD+ or DolbyD+/DTS all other settings result in Stereo only. Sonos Beam does not work with DolbyD+ so will not output 5.1 with a NowTV box or stick. Hopefully a future firmware update will let the DolbyD setting work which would then work with Sonos Beam. 

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous User
Not applicable

After alot of reading the web this is the list I have made to save other peoples time - 

Make sure your HDMI leads are atleast ethernet and ARC compatable grade, 1.3 1.4 or 2.x

Amazon basics range are compatable and work and are £5 for 1m.   Buying more expensive makes no difference to video or audio quality as it all digital signal.  Poundshop ones or ones in the box are not good enough, even the one supplied with my NowTV 4K box was not compatable with ARC or Dolby or DTS.  So use a known HDMI lead that is highspeed ethernet and ARC compatable or 4K compatable.

NowTV Stick or box -

(if not a NowTV or Ruko then your app may not have these options in the app due to not been updated to the latest software version as Sky no longer supporting these other devices)

1) Play a movie or video in NowTV, then press * for options and select Audio mode is off ( not auto limit, not night ).  This has to be off for 5.1 surround to work

2) In the OS, is is the first Home screen upon switich on, goto account, settings, audio.

Now this 2) is the big issue.

a) There is a massive bug in this menu.

You only really have two options that are working options.

Stereo

Dolby Digital plus

No others will work, they will give Stereo output only, regardless that auto states it has detected Dolby / DTS.  Only "Plus" will give you surround 5.1

For surround Dolby Digital Plus has to be selected here.

and the Auto, it doesn't really matter, so select Dolby / DTS

and the HDMI option to Dolby Digital Plus

3) Now soundbars -

If you have a surround amp, put the Nowtv hdmi into the amp then amp hdmi to tv. 

I find that HDMI optical splitters will only work with 5.1 switch selected and not passthrou and then the Account Bundle " surround" mode will state instead of " stereo" but no sound will output.  But is will say in Bundle options " surround "  this is because it is only putting out Dolby Digital Plus and unless you have a PLUS soundbar (not Atmos either).  Plus will work on nomal Dolby in Dolby's spec, but it seems Sky Nowtv has a massive software glitch bug, I do only if it is a DRM issue knowing Sky and done something to the broadcasted audio that it will only work with Plus and not normal or Atmos as it should work as Dolby specs says they are fully compatable.

4) Big issues to note -

Dolby Digital Plus is fully compatable with normal Dolby Digital and communicate to normal.    But not in NowTV current software as it will give you no sound output.

What this means -

4a) To use this 5.1 audio bundle your with no surround amp or soundbar, you tv needs to be eARC  not ARC, this means only from 2020 televisons supported as these will ONLY have Dolby Digital Plus compatablity.

4b) You surround amp will ONLY pickup Dolby Digital PLUS and not normal Dolby Digital.

4) Soundbars just won't work unless your TV has eARC and Dolby Digital PLUS and your Soundbar has Dolby Digital PLUS

Requirements

Good HMDI leads

Dolby Digital PLUS compatable equipment - TV, AMP, Sbar.

TV is eARC not ARC compatable

NOWTV box has night mode switched off and audio limiting switched off.  Home OS account settings is set to Audio set to Dolby and not Auto, then HDMI set to Dolby Digital Plus.

I can not get DTS to work and not seen and web posts that anyone else has.  I do not think Sky Nowtv are broadcasting DTS audio signal.

It will not work with normal Dolby Digital, only PLUS, even thou PLUS is compatable with normal, these boxes and sticks have a OS software bug issue.

People are also reporting it will not work with Dolby Amos equipment even thou Amos is compatable with PLUS.

Also notes -

This applies to NowTV boxes and Sticks including Roku versions.

Nowtv Android app smartphone or tablet does not support this surround settings, and does not have the options in the app.  So if you only or mostly use for this then no point getting this bundle, as you won't be getting surround by Dolby Atmos on your headphones or speakers.

Embeded to Smart devices it gets even worse.

Samsung Blu ray players - the app has been removed

Samsung TV - the app may be there or not, if so it will only work if you TV is PLUS compatable.

LG Blu ray players and TVs - completely does not work, nor login, due to LG quit paying  licence fees to Nowtv in 2018.

EE boxes - no dufunct - no software upgrades as EE switching them off in June 2021, the Nowtv app can't even see the surround bundle.

Some people have had some success with BT Youview boxes to certain models televisions.

In all this surround bundle is a complete waste of time buying, I also see no real quality difference in the 720 to 1080 upgrade.

I have the NowTV 4K box....   and NowTV Sky does not even broadcast at 4K,  These boxes can only do 4K on the Youtube and Netflix app. 

Nowtv should, be saying on the box, their 4K stick and box wont do NowTV in 4K as Sky does not broadcast 4K only competatives youtube and netflix will and their apps on this box will do 4K.

Also retailers (aka Currys PCW) need to stop advertising that Smart TVs and blurays work with Now TV, as they do not.  Also LG players no longer works with the Youtube App either.

In all a big con.

If you want Full HD or 4KHD with surround, use Netflix, its even cheaper than Skys NowTV package.