cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

My Smartstick is possessed/Sound keeps stopping

So I just got a smartstick and I am convinced it is possessed... well, not really, but you'll see.

I got the smartstick and got it set up and working, yay! But then, everytime I turn it on for the first time in the day, the sound goes out. Initially I could fix this by a reset or unplugging everything, but now, nothing works.

Then I noticed that my remote is weirdly turning on my JVC stereo whenever I choose Mytv or Kids to get into those menus. I know!!

So tonight I did a full reset on the stick, and when I got to the part where it asks me if I can hear music playing, I could not hear it. Then it said it might not be recognising my telly, and to tell it what kind it was, which I did, which was a Logik. Repeatedly, I could not hear the music playing and had to cancel the remote set up and go forward from there. STILL no sound. Everything is fine when I view now through my laptop, and the volume is fine on my telly. 

Help!!

3 REPLIES 3
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you have a Logik TV and there is no sound when watching anything on the stick, then see if any suggestions in this linked thread below makes any difference.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Stick/Sound-Issues/m-p/511891#M3604 

Should the smart remote controller volume adjust buttons don't work with your Logik TV, then try going through TV remote setup again and try one code at a time where it might need some perseverance on your part.

I did read somewhere on the forum in the past that the nowtv smart remote buttons effected JVC branded products (maybe type JVC in the search box on the top of the forum to see what results come back).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for trying to help. I don't understand why it worked at first and now it won't.

I tried changing it to 720p on the display and other audio options - no luck.

What do you mean by choosing different codes during reset?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I am guessing you have tried different HDMI ports on your TV and if using an external HDMI switch box, bypass it and plug your Stick directly into the television.

Also go into your TV menu settings and play around with the sound and HDMI CEC options.

Apart from that i have run out of ideas, where i would try one more factory reset by holding the small reset button on the stick for about 15 seconds or go into the Stick menu under Advanced System Settings where there is an option to factory reset the stick.

With regards to the codes that i was talking about, if you go into the Stick settings under Remote you can reset the remote controller on/off TV standby & TV volume adjust buttons, where instead of saying yes on the screen prompt you say no (from memory) where you can work your way through the codes numbers one by one until by trial and error you find the code that works the TV standby & TV volume.

When i went down this route on my Panasonic TV there was approx 30 codes starting from 1 to 30 to try where most of the codes didn't work, some codes only switched the TV on/off where other codes only controlled the TV volume.

Here's the Roku help guide, where the instructions are slightly different on the NowTV devices that has the smart voice remote type controller.

https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/115013019828