cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Lost Remote

Hi, 

can you help. I’ve lost my now tv stick remote, after a broad band change. I can’t use the downloaded remote app because the WiFi isn’t connected to the stick. A friend lent me his remote but it’s a white one from a now tv box. I cant seem to get it to work with my stick! Is there another way to access it. If I can re set the WiFi, I can use the app remote. Many thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

@schnapps is right it's not going to be simple to get the stick connected up to your new wifi without the original remote. It can be done without the remote but it isn't going to be easy, although it doesn't need anything fancy like a wifi bridge setting up.

The info provided in the post by the mysterious 'Andy' should work for you as long as you have either your old router available or you know what the wireless network name and password for your old wifi network was. If you don't have either of these then you are stuck without a replacement remote for the smart stick (it does need to be the Smart Stick remote, not the older NOW TV box models). 

Easiest way if you know the wireless network name and password for your old wifi network is to just change the wireless network name and password on your new router to match the name and password that you used to use on your old router, then unplug the NOW TV stick for a minute. When you power it back up, it will connect to your new router thinking it is still the old one. Most routers will let you change the wireless name (sometimes called SSID or wireless SSID). Check the info that came with your router and/or contact your Broadband helpline if you need help logging into the router and making the change. Also bear in mind once you've made the change, you will need to update your phone and other wireless devices to the new name and password as well. Without the proper remote you can't easily change this network again so you'll have to leave it on the old name and password and adjust all your other devices accordingly.

If you have your old router then I'd recommend this method instead ... unplug your NOW TV stick, then power up the old router (just the power supply, don't connect the telephone cable to it) Wait a few minutes and then power up the NOW TV stick and it should connect to the old router as normal. Then change your phone wifi settings so it also connects to the old router. Obviously there will be no internet connection but because your stick and remote app are now connected to the old wireless network again you can use the remote app to control your stick. On the NOW TV stick go to

Settings > Network > Set up new wireless connection

and then set up the stick to connect to your new router's wifi network. Then set your phone back up on the new network as well and away you go. You can then unplug your old router and put it away again.

You can also achieve something similar if you have two phones or a phone and a tablet by setting up a personal hotspot with the name and password of the old network - but I'll not go into that detail here as the post is long enough as it is.

Whatever you do, you're going to need a replacement Smart Stick remote if you ever need to reset the stick so it's worth buying a second one or having a real good look to see if you can find the original!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Unfortunately the white or black remote used on the nowtv boxes which work on infra red will not work with the nowtv smart stick which work over wifi.

You could buy a replacement smart stick remote from the Sky Accessorises Shop

https://accessories.sky.com/catalogue/now-tv/all

Or perhaps try the helpful suggestions in post number 6 by Andy on this linked thread below.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Box-white/Changing-network-without-remote/m-p/397166 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps thank you for your help. I don’t suppose there’s a way for me to adjust the WiFi settings on the stick via the mobile app? If I can do that I would be able to use the remote app I have downloaded. Just had to watch the Grand Prix on the iPad 🙁

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@schnapps thank you for your help. I don’t suppose there’s a way for me to adjust the WiFi settings on the stick via the mobile app? If I can do that I would be able to use the remote app I have downloaded. Just had to watch the Grand Prix on the iPad 🙁

Hi @Anonymous User

I don't think it's possible.

Have you tried the suggestions by Andy's post in my previous link regarding using your older router wifi details or using the old router has a temporary wifi bridge in your home network ?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

@schnapps is right it's not going to be simple to get the stick connected up to your new wifi without the original remote. It can be done without the remote but it isn't going to be easy, although it doesn't need anything fancy like a wifi bridge setting up.

The info provided in the post by the mysterious 'Andy' should work for you as long as you have either your old router available or you know what the wireless network name and password for your old wifi network was. If you don't have either of these then you are stuck without a replacement remote for the smart stick (it does need to be the Smart Stick remote, not the older NOW TV box models). 

Easiest way if you know the wireless network name and password for your old wifi network is to just change the wireless network name and password on your new router to match the name and password that you used to use on your old router, then unplug the NOW TV stick for a minute. When you power it back up, it will connect to your new router thinking it is still the old one. Most routers will let you change the wireless name (sometimes called SSID or wireless SSID). Check the info that came with your router and/or contact your Broadband helpline if you need help logging into the router and making the change. Also bear in mind once you've made the change, you will need to update your phone and other wireless devices to the new name and password as well. Without the proper remote you can't easily change this network again so you'll have to leave it on the old name and password and adjust all your other devices accordingly.

If you have your old router then I'd recommend this method instead ... unplug your NOW TV stick, then power up the old router (just the power supply, don't connect the telephone cable to it) Wait a few minutes and then power up the NOW TV stick and it should connect to the old router as normal. Then change your phone wifi settings so it also connects to the old router. Obviously there will be no internet connection but because your stick and remote app are now connected to the old wireless network again you can use the remote app to control your stick. On the NOW TV stick go to

Settings > Network > Set up new wireless connection

and then set up the stick to connect to your new router's wifi network. Then set your phone back up on the new network as well and away you go. You can then unplug your old router and put it away again.

You can also achieve something similar if you have two phones or a phone and a tablet by setting up a personal hotspot with the name and password of the old network - but I'll not go into that detail here as the post is long enough as it is.

Whatever you do, you're going to need a replacement Smart Stick remote if you ever need to reset the stick so it's worth buying a second one or having a real good look to see if you can find the original!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andy Thanks so much for your help. 

Unfortunatly the old router has been discarded. The remote I believe was left in Greece on holiday, so I guess the easiest option is going to be to buy a new remote. I might even upgrade to the box. 

Thanks again 😃

Anonymous User
Not applicable

please can I have a replacement for the stick I have lost?

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Curry’s or Argos have them.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.