cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

IR remote and NowTV stick

Hi
Have two NowTV sticks that have stopped communicating with IR remotes. Not sure when they stopped working

Did a factory reset - and now stuck at a pairing request - where I do not have a pairing button on my remotes - batteries face opposite directions

I get the blue NOW logo, the language selection (that moves on automatically) and then the pairing screen and that's where it stops. Nothing recognised from the remotes at all

White light flashing on stick

NowTV online chat tell me I need to but new remotes with a pairing button

Does anyone know if the IR facility has now been disabled. I bought a new stick just before Xmas and that was supplied with an IR remote and worked fine.

Any ideas please 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

You need the newer NOW Smart remote with the NOW Stick for the Stick to pair and setup from a factory reset.

Are you using the the supplied remotes that came in the box with your two NOW Sticks ?

If so the pair button is underneath the battery compartment cover on the remote.

The IR side of the NowTV Smart Remote is purely to switch your television on / off into standby mode and adjust the volume of your television.

Would have suggested using the Roku Remote App on your smartphone or tablet, but if you have already factory reset both Sticks then you will need the physical NOW Smart voice remote working.

See if anything in this linked article helps.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/remote-control-troubleshooting 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

You need the newer NOW Smart remote with the NOW Stick for the Stick to pair and setup from a factory reset.

Are you using the the supplied remotes that came in the box with your two NOW Sticks ?

If so the pair button is underneath the battery compartment cover on the remote.

The IR side of the NowTV Smart Remote is purely to switch your television on / off into standby mode and adjust the volume of your television.

Would have suggested using the Roku Remote App on your smartphone or tablet, but if you have already factory reset both Sticks then you will need the physical NOW Smart voice remote working.

See if anything in this linked article helps.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/remote-control-troubleshooting 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many thanks @schnapps

Its strange that the remotes have only recently stopped communicating - as they have worked fine without a pair button since first setup - the last one just before Christmas

I've decided to look at alternatives as the cost of buying new remotes outweighs the value of the sticks for the amount I use them so will mark my question as answered

Thanks again

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

just for clarification, from the link that i posted the photo of the second remote controller on the link (the remote with the volume rocker buttons on the side of the remote) was the two remotes that came with your NOW Stick ?

The older IR remote (first photo on the link) was never supplied with the NOW Sticks and these older IR remotes need line of sight with the NOW boxes.

My understanding the older IR remotes have never worked on the NOW Stick because it doesn't have an IR receiver and because the Stick is not under line of sight where they are usually placed behind the television they are not compatible (well the old IR remotes don't work with my NOW Stick from my testing).

I am just confused if you are using the older IR remote which was never supplied with the NOW Sticks and you managed to get it operating with your Sticks.

Can you upload a photo of your two NOW remotes supplied with the Stick so i can see the remotes you have been using.

Where did you buy the Sticks from and have you spoken to the Retailer to see if you can get a replacement or refund (even if the Stick is out of warranty) ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Stick1Stick2Stick3Hi @schnapps 

Attached images might work :). If they don't then the remotes I have do not have the power button at the top + some of the other buttons are missing.

If they do then the one with the red button on the front was purchased in December 2020 and has worked until recently

There are no pairing buttons in the battery compartment

Bought from B&M (yes I know I'm tight :)) and they came in sealed boxes that look genuine

I have only done a factory reset on one of the sticks - the other one shows the screen after the home page but no longer does anything

Not sure when they stopped working

Cheers

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Unfortunately the photos you have tried to upload i can't seem to open them up

Nothing Wrong with B&M when i go to town to pop into the Bank i always do a little shopping in B&M.

B&M are an Authorised NOW Retailer so you should have received the NOW Smart voice remote like shown in the picture below (where all NOW Smart voice remotes have a pair button underneath the battery cover on the remote).

The older NOW Sticks remotes was all black with no yellow but the remotes was still identical to the one in the picture with a pair button underneath the battery cover.

I am still confused and baffled how there was no NOW Smart voice remote like the picture below that came with the Stick in the box (unless you lost the original remotes and replaced them with an IR remote).

With the Stick that you haven't factory reset have you tried the free to download Roku remote App on a smartphone or tablet to see if you can operate the NOW Stick.

Now-TV-Smart-Stick-Remote-600x600.jpg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps 

I too am baffled.

I am picking up a remote with pairing button today  just to try  (borrowing not buying)- but happy that it will work. If it doesn't then I am moving away from Now sticks anyway

As a last point, the remotes were included with the sticks and have never been replaced with alternatives - until now

Many thanks for your help with this and closing the trail now.

First time I have used the forum and have been impressed - definitely more confidence in the reply than help given by online chat

Cheers