cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Grey translucent box on top left of screen when watching sports

Hi,

I bought the Now TV Stick today as well as a daily sports pass and boost (for the HD)

On a trial run today when I put Sky Sports on the picture was fine other than a grey translucent box covering the top left hand side of the screen. It spreads out about half way across and down and is very noticable.

If I select the menu (whilst till in screen) it disappears. I can then see the normal screen and the NOW TV menu/guide down the bottom. Once you close this to get normal full screen again within a couple of seconds it appears and remains.

I am using HDMI connection, running at 1080p on PanasonicTV.

Any ideas???

Many thanks in advance

Mark

61 REPLIES 61
StevePNicolaW
Mentor

That's what I'm getting on the Smart Box, no boost.

Its not happening on our Samsung Smart TV with the app on there

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Interesting... the translucent box does appear to vary in size (compared to your images)

I thought my 1080P project was blowing its lamp... but I had a consistently sized box between 2 x NowTV sticks, the other connected to a 1080P Plasma TV.

My apparition was approx 2/5 width and 2/5 height (so bit less than a 1/4 of the screen.) I'm currently streaming the highlights on a PC of the same match and no issues.

I've just checked my NOWTV stick & TV, the same match on replay... no sign of it....

Glad I now know the old interface may be blemish free. Reckon there could be an issue with the revised UI specifically if it disappears when you bring up the channel overlay.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yep same issue, so annoying. Now TV need to get this sorted ASAP.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same issue here on my Now TV stick with the monthly Sports Pass and the Boost.

Spent ages messing around with all my connections, TV settings and software updates. So annoying! Glad the problem isn't at my end but it's so distracting! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’ve got the same issue too using the stick so can’t use the app solution. It’s deeply annoying. Looks like I’ll be watching the football on my iPad until it’s sorted.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Should work on your Stick as well.

Don't go to My Apps, but go to Apps Store on your Stick, then highlight and click on the NowTV App, then click on Go to App to get you into the old style UI.

Then scroll down to Sports and from the Sports Now & Next live guide, pick the channel you want to watch.

Sky Sports has been running for about an hour now using this workaround and the picture is fine.

SouthCoastAsh
Mentor

@schnapps wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User 

Should work on your Stick as well.

Don't go to My Apps, but go to Apps Store on your Stick, then highlight and click on the NowTV App, then click on Go to App to get you into the old style UI.

Then scroll down to Sports and from the Sports Now & Next live guide, pick the channel you want to watch.

Sky Sports has been running for about an hour now using this workaround and the picture is fine.

I wonder if this is an oversight or if Sky have left it there deliberately for situations like this?

The new home screen appears to be based in an app which is why it takes a few seconds to load if you’re coming from another app.  It also looks like it’s web based.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @schnapps - that workaround with the app store works great on my NowTV stick. I totally didn't think there would be a NowTV app on the stick because it seems weird - but there it was! 

Now 5 mins in and the grey box has not reappeared. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That’s great. Many thanks for your help.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This workaround fixed it for me (using a stick) thanks