cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Force stick to use specific wireless channel?

I've been having problems with a fuzzy picture when using the Now TV stick lately but feel like I've finally narrowed down the difference between the times the picture is good and the times it's terrible. It always claims the signal is 'Poor', but sometimes it connects to Wireless Channel 6, and sometimes to Wireless Channel 48 (those are the only two I've seen). The picture's usually decent when it connects to 48, and usually awful on 6. So my question is whether there's some way to force it to only use 48, or to change the channel it's connected to within the settings? It seems to pick again every time it boots up, but I have no idea what causes it to go one way or the other.

Considering the thing is virtually useless on Channel 6, any help would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi, @Anonymous User  the problem lies not with the stick, but with your router. Some routers, by default, use the same SSID name for both the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz bands. So look at the settings for your router and have it use different names for the two bands. All that you need to do then, is point it at the 5Ghz band (channel 48 in your case), and all should be ok.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @Mark_Weinreb. I figured that was probably the difference between the two channels, but of course my hub claims to be 'smart' and pick the best option itself. Thought there might be some way to tell the stick what to connect to, given that every other device I have connected to the hub works fine on either band. Have now separated out the SSIDs so it should be forced to connect to the 5Ghz band.

Still not impressed with the stick, frankly. All this screwing around to get it to work properly (when everything else I have, including devices that stream TV, work fine on 2.4Ghz). The wireless signal is also fine for other devices, and they don't run so hot that it feels like they're going to burn your skin off if you go near them. Seems like the tech still needs some work.