cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Buffering home page

Hi. I’ve 2 sticks attached to 2 seperate TVs, but for the past 3 days or so the home page will not load on either, but just continually buffers. The top line only loads & by using the * button I can load apps which play perfectly well. I’ve reset them back to factory settings & tried different hdmi ports but still no change. I’ve also spent the last 1.5 hrs getting nowhere with an online chat. HELP PLEASE!!!

22 REPLIES 22
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Here's another thread where it is also happening.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-Stick/NOWTV-smart-stick-home-page-doesn-t-load/m-p/572931#M8046 

I am not experiencing this myself on two different NOW boxes or my Roku Stick.

Apart from temporary trying a wifi hotspot on your mobile phone (if you have mobile data) and testing the wifi bands on your Router (use the lower channel numbers on your Router).

Then i am out of ideas.

It would be interesting to know what ISP's the affected parties are using and it's a shame the NOW or Roku devices can't be tested on somebody's else Network if you can't test using a wifi hotspot with a smartphone, just to eliminate the home Router out of the equation.

Where it's strange it's happening to some (even after a full factory reset on their NOW / Roku devices), but not others.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

I am also assuming that the other OP's who have reported it on the Community Forum after doing a full factory reset have tried the lower wifi channels on both 2.4ghz & 5ghz on setup if they have a dual band Router (even if they can play NOW content via the star button search workaround).

Sorry i can't help any further without encountering this problem myself.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks I’ll try the suggestion on the link

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I have just fired up my old NOW Freeview Smart Box which i haven't used in a year or so.

After i uploaded the new current up to date software version of the box, i was experiencing the exact same thing where the main NOW home screen page was just hanging there with the loading circle.

Pressing the star button workaround on the remote didn't work for me, but when pressing the back button on the NOW Remote i could access the TV Guide and the Search option etc to find NOW Stuff i wanted to watch.

i am having a play with the box has i type and if you press the back button and you get the options down the left hand side of the television screen, then go into My Apps and see if there is a NOW App in there.

Where on my NOW Freeview Smart box, i clicked OK on the NOW App and the main NOW home screen appeared with the various grid rows such has Continue Watching etc etc.

Only problem i have noticed after watching something, the loading / hanging circle reappears when going back to the NOW home screen which is irritating and needs fixing by NOW.

Going back into My Apps by following my instructions on paragraphs 3 & 4, gets me back to a functioning Home NOW main screen with everything accessible.

I will report this to somebody who works for NOW.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Another observation once you manage to get into the main NOW Home Screen page after watching something keep pressing the back button on the remote.

This will get you back again to a functioning working NOW home screen.

The NOW quick direct access key on the bottom left of the remote also seems to get me a functioning NOW home screen.

If you can get the NOW Home Screen to appear it seems like pressing the home button on the remote crashes the software somehow and you are left with the hanging loading circle.

So until it is fixed by NOW avoid pressing the Home button on the remote.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Ignore the bit about the direct access NOW key on the remote which is not relevant in your case having the NOW Stick.

From memory the direct access NOW key are on the older IR remote for use with the gen 1 black box and gen 2 NOW Freeview Smart box.

If you can get the home screen loaded from the My Apps section if you can access this and there is a NOW App available on the NOW Stick.

Then avoid using the home button on the remote and after watching something via the Home Screen use the back button on the remote instead until you reach the Home NOW screen page on your television.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for all your suggestions though sadly still all to no avail! I did have an online chat with NOW but gave up after 1.5 hours!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Because i haven't got a NOW Stick to currently test, i am assuming when on the loading hanging Main Screen and pressing the back button on the remote, there is either no side menu on the LHS of the television screen with an option to select My Apps ?

Or there is a menu down the LHS, but under My Apps there is no NOW App like i am getting on my NOW Freeview Smart Box ?

I am also guessing on the Stick after watching something by using the star button or the voice button pressing the back button doesn't take you eventually to the NOW home screen.

It's a shame your NOW Stick doesn't have the direct NOW key access button like my box, where this should have also worked.

Sorry there is nothing more i can help with, but i have flagged this thread, plus the other thread that i linked here to the NOW Community Manager to pass on to the relevant NOW Team to look into.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I don't know if this is a coincidence or my box was missing some App software updates on my box because it hasn't been used in a while.

But i have just gone in the box Settings again and done a further check for updates and there was an update available (3 App updates for me) and the home screen page seems to be working again (even after i powered down the box off and on again).

Where pressing the home button now doesn't even crash it after watching something.

If you can't access the LHS menu by pressing the back button on the remote to access Settings, then i am not sure how you can force the box to update the Apps if you can't reach Settings (your Stick my have an overnight App update done automatically).

Hope you get it fixed somehow.