cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Bluetooth Sound

Can a Bluetooth speaker be used for sound on a now TV stick in the same way one can be added to a fire TV stick. If I add the speaker in the add another remote menu will this add the speaker but loose the remote?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The NowTV remote, talking to the Stick, is WiFi, but wifi Direct, rather than via the router. I don’t think it’s Bluetooth, though it does pair, but that is all the Stick talks to.

So if it is Bluetooth, then yes it is Bluetooth only to/from the remote. Possibly only From, as well.

I checked the menus on my Stick, and can’t see any option to pair a second remote; so if you could pair a Bluetooth speaker, that would be it, and you would lose the remote. But my guess is it won’t pair.

The NowTV remote also has IR, for talking to your TV, but this is just the On/Standby button at the top, and the Volume Up/Down buttons on the side.

I read up on the Firestick Bluetooth capability; this is a whole separate menu option on the Firestick.

My Roku 3 has a feature whereby you can plug headphones into the remote, for night listening, which I think is as near to the Firestick feature as you can get, on a device that supports NowTV.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The NowTV Stick doesn’t have Bluetooth.

Remotes are inputs to the Stick not outputs. I wouldn’t think trying to add a Bluetooth speaker as a remote would disable the existing remote, but then neither do I think it would work.

If you tried it though, and it did disable the regular remote, there’s a reset button on the side of the Stick and if you press for over 15 seconds, while it’s powered, it will factory reset, and get thing so you can re-establish things as before.

AAMOI, though, you can make this trick work on an Amazon Firestick?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @RoyB 

Yes I already do this on a fire TV stick, I work from home and in my home office I plug the stick into the computer monitor, the monitor has no speakers so I Bluetooth the sound to a DAB radio. I've also bluetoothed the sound to Bluetooth headphones, useful in the bedroom when other half wants to sleep. Just to clarify no sound comes out of the TV speakers when I do this.

The remote on the fire TV stick is Bluetooth not infra red, I assume the now TV stick is the same. Are you saying the now TV stick only receives but does not transmit bluetooth?

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The NowTV remote, talking to the Stick, is WiFi, but wifi Direct, rather than via the router. I don’t think it’s Bluetooth, though it does pair, but that is all the Stick talks to.

So if it is Bluetooth, then yes it is Bluetooth only to/from the remote. Possibly only From, as well.

I checked the menus on my Stick, and can’t see any option to pair a second remote; so if you could pair a Bluetooth speaker, that would be it, and you would lose the remote. But my guess is it won’t pair.

The NowTV remote also has IR, for talking to your TV, but this is just the On/Standby button at the top, and the Volume Up/Down buttons on the side.

I read up on the Firestick Bluetooth capability; this is a whole separate menu option on the Firestick.

My Roku 3 has a feature whereby you can plug headphones into the remote, for night listening, which I think is as near to the Firestick feature as you can get, on a device that supports NowTV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

Thanks for that, I've just tried pairing some Bluetooth headphones and the stick did not recognise them. It looks like you can pair another remote rather than a second remote, with the stick being prompted by the remote pair button being pressed. It's no big deal that it can't be done but it would have been a nice feature.

I forgot about the IR TV control on the remote, has anybody got it to work?

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

To watch NowTV, I do it all from the NowTV remote; TV On with the IR, OK to wake up the Stick over WiFi Direct and have its HDMI input grab the TV screen, Volume Up/Down from the IR on the remote if needed, and then everything else from the buttons over the WiFi Direct.

Finally, pressing the top button for IR TV off, which also shuts off the Stick, as it is powered from a USB socket on the set which loses power when this Samsung TV is put in standby.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you install the roku app on your mobile device, you can connect that to your nowtv stick. On the app you can have private listening where the sound comes out into your device and if you connect a speaker or headphones to that mobile device it should work with no problems. 

Works for me